Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone ever win the football pools ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    7 Jan 2010 - 2:06 PM

While I have never had much interest in playing the lottery, I used to play the football pools on a regular basis for many years, no doubt a throwback to the pre lottery days.

I would pay a fixed sum for 6 months worth of games but after wining nothing for years I did not re-new.
    I recall that an employee of the pools company, Vernons I think, rang me and attempted to persuade me to carry on.

I used the conversation to ask if anyone ever won and whilst quite adamant that lots of people won, this lady refused to tell me who, when or how much. Which appears strange when you consider how often we read about people wining huge sums playing the lottery.

EPZ members of my generation will certainly recall reading details of pools winners in days gone by.
    .....so do you play the football pools and have you ever won ?

Grandad...Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jan 2010 - 2:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jan 2010 - 2:21 PM

used to until about 5 years ago when I found it so futile, just thrwoing money away and no `thrill' of potential win....but then again my wife won 400 about 20 years ago....

same applies, to some degree to Premium Bonds. I have a reasonable holding and have had 2 25 wins over the last 6 months. Works out about 1% annually (tax free) so not overly competitive but at least my capital is safe.

but at 6m to 1 it should be a better bet than the National Lottery Smile

MikeRC
    7 Jan 2010 - 3:56 PM

Quote: but then again my wife won 400 about 20 years ago....

Yea...long before the lottery started.

Could it now be just one big scam ?

I'm thinking now that hardly anyone wins hardly anything and that most of the stake money goes on runing the company leaving very little for the punters in prize money.

I too haven't done bad with the premium bonds having had a couple of 500, loads of 100 and 50, but it has been over a lot of years and thinking about it now, in the last 12 months all i've had is half a dozen 25 but like you say, the money's safe and there's always that hope.

....Mike

montechoro
    montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jan 2010 - 8:33 PM

One of the things I did as a student to earn some money was one of the "football rounds" where you knock on peoples door every Thursday to collect their football coupon and the cash.

I'd been doing it for about 18 months when one Sunday morning, one of the people I collected from was hammering on the front door at 7am to make sure I'd sent the coupon off for him.

He had won the equivalent of 6 brand new houses at the time - so in today's terms - at average "today" prices - about 1 million.

I went to school with his sons. His family were ecstatic and started to allocate and spend the money for him.

He refused all requests - just saying, he would bank it all and think about it for a year and then decide what to do.

He carried on with his job, not touching the money, as though nothing had happened - then, tragically after 4 months he had a massive heart attack and died before he reached hospital.

Money is nice - but it's not everything and I've never forgotten my only customer to ever have a big win or what I learned from the experience.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jan 2010 - 10:35 PM

Quote: One of the things I did as a student to earn some money was one of the "football rounds" where you knock on peoples door every Thursday to collect their football coupon and the cash.

I sued to do that too and remember having to trudge through the snow to pick up coupons!!!

just heard about that young lottery winner found dead...so sad

Last Modified By cats_123 at 7 Jan 2010 - 10:35 PM
    bigalguitarpicker

In about 1976 or 77 the hotel I worked in was blown up and I found myself out of work. (There was a lot of that in Northern Ireland in those days!) I went shooting with my last 6 cartridges and my dog and between us we got a couple of rabbits and 3 or 4 pigeons, two pigeons with one shot too! Headed for the pub and with my last couple of bob I got a drink. Pint of Guinness and a whiskey. Wee splash of each in an ashtray for the dog. Liked a drink did Grouse! Sitting there twiddling my thumbs wondering where the next job and next pay packet was coming from, when I remembered I had a Postal Order from Littlewoods Pools at home. Dashed home, about 400 yds away, and got the postal order and headed for the post office (next door to the pub, conveniently enough). With it cashed, headed back into the pub and got a pint of Guinness, half'un of whiskey, ten Regal and a box of matches. Happy as a pig in s**t, and 3 or 4 pence left over from my pools winnings of ten shillings (50p), the only win I got in more than ten years of playing!

montechoro
    montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2010 - 7:27 AM

LOL bigal - someone has to send in the money so that the big winners get the large pot.

MikeRC
    8 Jan 2010 - 3:52 PM

I guess that about solves it.
    .....I can throw away this latest flyer from Vernons which promises me untold riches.

....Mike

Last Modified By MikeRC at 8 Jan 2010 - 3:52 PM
    Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2010 - 4:22 PM

Quote: Does anyone ever win the football pools ?

As far as I know the Promoters do - every week!

Quote: I would pay a fixed sum for 6 months worth of games but after wining nothing for years I did not re-new.
    I recall that an employee of the pools company, Vernons I think, rang me and attempted to persuade me to carry on.

Me too.

Quote: I used the conversation to ask if anyone ever won and whilst quite adamant that lots of people won, this lady refused to tell me who, when or how much. Which appears strange when you consider how often we read about people wining huge sums playing the lottery.

Strange - considering that the bumf they send is full of the names of winners.

Quote: EPZ members of my generation will certainly recall reading details of pools winners in days gone by.
    .....so do you play the football pools and have you ever won ?

Yes - on two occasions:
    1st time 42
    2nd time 4.50

I eventually gave up - tried the Lottery instead - won a few tenners. Eventually gave up when my last 10 winning ticket blew away out of my clutching hand and sailed out of sight before I could catch it again. Sad Sad Sad

I took this as an omen that the Gods had it in for me and were determined that I would not win anything again. Sad

And I haven't! Sad
    jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 8 Jan 2010 - 4:35 PM
    Snapper
    Snapper  93690 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2010 - 4:46 PM

Same as Jas and Mike on the 6 monthly standing forecast and only ever won a piddling amount that it wasn't worth going to the bank with the cheque. I've not had more than a tenner off the lottery and can't remember if I had one at all last year, but bought a 5 week ticket yesterday and found I'd lost it when I got home last night. WEnt out to the car this morning and there it was in the snow. Lucky or what? And is it an omen for the rollover draw???? Smile

MikeRC
    8 Jan 2010 - 5:33 PM

Quote: Strange - considering that the bumf they send is full of the names of winners

...funny that...just dug this latest pack of bumf out of the recycling box and the only name on 5 pages was Richard Thompson...Head of Customer Services.

....Happens that was in the days when they had winners

....Mike

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2010 - 5:56 PM

Quote: Happens that was in the days when they had winners

Well, Winner was a loser in the Mastermind chair! Wink

Could be you're right, though. Sad

Artois
    Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2010 - 7:35 PM

A friend of mine did win over 40 thou about 10 years ago on Vernons. Personally, my best pools win was 10p! I only do the lottery now despite being told by a clairvoyant I would never win big money. Why do I still do the lottery? To prove her wrong!

Stella

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.