Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Does anyone use a Hide Clamp?

I was at Caerlaverock yesterday and noticed a lot of birdwatchers are using hide clamps for their scopes.
I was wondering if they'd be any good for supporting camera lenses.
I can't hand hold or even use a beanbag and getting a tripod up in a busy hide isn't fun.
I'd be interested to hear the from anyone who has used this type of accessory.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 12 9.2k 92
21 Feb 2011 1:26PM
Yep, use one for my garden photography. I use the manfrotto clamp which takes a tripod stem from one of their tripods. I then mount my gimbal head on this. Seems to work OK. The main problem with most hide windows is that the are built for spotting scopes and any fast camera lens will struggle with the space between the top and bottom of the frame regardless of how it is mounted.

I have used my setup with the 500mm lens and D3s without issue. Best to buy a good one though or it will be a false economy.
Thanks Cheryl.
My Gimbal head is on a Velbon CF tripod and Velbon have a hide clamp designed to take the centre column.
The lens I'm using is f4 and fits through most of the larger hide windows as long as I take the lens hood off.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
21 Feb 2011 5:30PM
I think from memory that the manfrotto one looks more robust, but I've not checked them out for a while. As I say the manfortto with an old CFOne 440 stem will support a 500mm no problem. I have the feeling that the Velbon one I have seen at the likes of inFocus shops is meant for spotting scopes, so worth checking the max supported weight.
Thanks
4 Mar 2011 3:07PM
I use a hide clamp bought from In-Focus Optics. The model I use is a Delta G and I insert the centre column of my Cullman tripod. I use a 400mm 5.6 Canon lens on a 30D. The set-up is reasonably stable and I have had no problem getting the lens to stick out of the open hide window.
Thankyou, that's useful information.
vixalot 3 8 England
11 Mar 2011 4:46PM
When you use a hide clamp it always relies on other people not shaking the bench
I'd noticed that too Smile
And it depends on the bench not being too thick to take the clamp.
Washington WWT had ledges 6" thick.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.