Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone use a Velbon Sherpa 200R tripod ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Barbaraj
    Barbaraj  7450 forum posts England
    14 May 2007 - 1:44 PM

I am thinking of buying a tripod, to use with a Pentax K 100D and 18 -55 or 50 - 200 lens. I was wondering if anyone had been using this tripod ? I liked the weight and fact that you can use it for portrait shots too.

is it a good buy ?
    Barbaraj

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 May 2007 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

glnv
    glnv  6
    13 Feb 2008 - 8:47 AM

I just picked-up a Sherpa 200R this past weekend. As a photojournalist, I can't say I have much to compare this other than what we used in college 20 years ago and my crappy department store tripod. Anyway, for the price, not bad. I wanted something solid, precise with smooth panning and without braces for the legs. I hate tripods with leg braces; they are no good for outdoors. One bonus, the quick release has a solid built-in key which you turn the thread into your camera's socket. With my old tripod, I always had to search for a quarter to turn that darn thread knob into the camera. No problems with the Sherpa. It also feels light and it handles nicely. I actually enjoy using a tripod now. The only thing I think may be a problem for some, not for me, would be if doing extensive panoramic shots. That is, since you don’t have individual control locks for the pan and tilt. My cheap tripod was the same design but it allowed me to separately lock-in the pan or the tilt for the control handle, with two separate knobs. Anyway, for me, no big deal because it’s about being fast and capturing the moment, in which this tripod allows me to do. So, since my $40 tripod lasted 20 years, I didn’t see the need to by a Manfrotto doing the same thing for twice the price at the Sherpa.

aftertherain
    13 Feb 2008 - 8:55 AM

I use a Velbon Sherpa but a different model.
    It works well and is light to carry.

RV
    RV  3
    4 Sep 2011 - 7:12 PM

I use two (a 200 and a 200R) in tandem for macro work.
    Very good value (well-designed, no-nonsense).
    A hair too long and heavy to be taken on long outings.

glnv
    glnv  6
    5 Sep 2011 - 12:37 AM

Well, just to update, just after the warranty ran out, I grabbed this piece of garbage from the back seat of my car and one leg just broke in half. I never abused this tripod and took care of it. Anyway, I had to buy a new tripod. I bought a $280 Kirk ball head and a crappy Manfrotto 190XPROB. The cheap plastic angle lever locks on this Manfrotto broke twice within first year of purchase, the second time they didn't want to cover under the warranty. My third recent tripod, a Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, oddly, currently in repair service for the same issue of broken cheap plastic angle locks. My next tripod, I'm looking at the SLIK Pro 500DX. This Slik seems much tougher than this Velbon. Also, stay away from Benro tripods, I read one guy had his camera smashing to the ground because of cheap assembly mechanism mounting that failed to hold the tripod head socket. Other than the Slik, I'm not sure if this helps because I really don't know anymore who makes a tripod that can last more than a year with moderate, non-abusive, usage. So, I can only tell you my experience in what to stay away from, crap tripods loaded with plastic parts will break just like all other cheap manufacturing done today designed to make you spend more money again. The only thing that still works which did in fact take some abuse was my trusty Kirk ball head.

Last Modified By glnv at 5 Sep 2011 - 12:39 AM
    keithh
    keithh  1022760 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Sep 2011 - 12:41 PM

Quote: I'm looking at the SLIK Pro 500DX.

Quote: So, I can only tell you my experience in what to stay away from, crap tripods loaded with plastic parts

Don't buy the SLIK then.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.