Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone use MSN Skydrive as an alternative to Cloud storage?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ourdayphotos
10 Sep 2012 - 9:46 PM

As the title asks, do you use Skydrive as cloud storage? I have Skydrive but never thought of using it to back up my photos, if you use it how much storage is there and can it be used in the same way as cloud?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Sep 2012 - 9:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 9:56 PM

I have managed to back up documents to Sky Drive easily enough, but generally use DropBox for backing up pictures from my phone (which happens automatically) and sharing pictures with family. I also use DropBox for backing up some work files. I back up my pictures to hard drives at home as I think enough storage would be prohibitively expensive, but I think backing up to cloud storage for very special pictures is a really good idea - I just never think of doing it! Uploading can be fairly slow with larger files, which is another thing to think about.

Jestertheclown
10 Sep 2012 - 9:58 PM

I've been using it for years.

At one time, it was possible to get 25gb. of free storage per account, each accessed by its own email account. I've got two of those but then MS decided that they were being overly generous and reduced the amount of free storage top 7gb.; I've got several of those, although there's more available if you're prepared to pay for it.

Surely, "Skydrive" is cloud storage?

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 10 Sep 2012 - 9:59 PM
ourdayphotos
10 Sep 2012 - 10:01 PM

Quote: I've been using it for years.

At one time, it was possible to get 25gb. of free storage per account, each accessed by its own email account. I've got two of those but then MS decided that they were being overly generous and reduced the amount of free storage top 7gb.; I've got several of those, although there's more available if you're prepared to pay for it.

Surely, "Skydrive" is cloud storage?

Bren.

It is cloud storage but I was just meaning as an alternative to other cloud methods such as icloud etc. I didn't realise it was only 7 gig tho'.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 10:02 PM

Amazon also give you free storage via your account, 5GB I think.

I don`t store online, I simply use these to transfer large files.

Jestertheclown
10 Sep 2012 - 10:06 PM

Quote: I didn't realise it was only 7 gig tho'.

I'll stand to be corrected but I don't think anyone gives offers more than that for nothing.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 10:18 PM

Here`s the one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=sa_menu_acd_lrn0?ie=UTF8&docId=1...

Its only 5 gig but its easily upgradable.

Jestertheclown
10 Sep 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: Its only 5 gig but its easily upgradable.

I'm not sure that I'd want to pay those prices just for storage though.

It would be cheaper in the not very long run to buy an external hard drive.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 10 Sep 2012 - 10:27 PM
ourdayphotos
10 Sep 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: Its only 5 gig but its easily upgradable.
I'm not sure that I'd want to pay those prices just for storage though.

It would be cheaper in the not very long run to buy an external hard drive.

I have a 1tb external HD on my mac where I keep all my pics & another one would be better in case the first one dies on me but someone made the point, what if there's a fire & everything's lost? I know that's maybe taking things a bit far but it could easily happen, cameras & household goods can be replaced but photos can't.

Paul Morgan
10 Sep 2012 - 11:15 PM

What if EPZ was to offer something like cloud or skydrive, would you use it, or even pay for extra space.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 3:37 AM

Negative!

Jestertheclown
11 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM

Quote: What if EPZ was to offer something like cloud or skydrive, would you use it, or even pay for extra space.

Interesting thought Paul.

I'd certainly use it if it was free but I'd have to think about paying for it for the same reason that I wouldn't pay for Amazon (or anyone elses') version.

Another external drive is ultimately going to be better value, for me anyway.

Quote: what if there's a fire & everything's lost?

Periodically, I back everything up onto a Dvd and my Mum keeps it at her house. Not ideal maybe but am I really that likely to have my house burn down?

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 11 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
11 Sep 2012 - 7:40 AM

I use Dropbox. I currently have just over 3GB free, which has been plenty so far. I only use it either for temporary backup storage, e.g. when I'm on holiday away from home, and for file transfer.

Quote: What if EPZ was to offer something like cloud or skydrive, would you use it, or even pay for extra space.

Unlikely. As I said, my free Dropbox space has been enough for me so far.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 8:28 AM

Quote: what if there's a fire & everything's lost?
Periodically, I back everything up onto a Dvd and my Mum keeps it at her house. Not ideal maybe but am I really that likely to have my house burn down?

It is the old industrial problem and the answer lies in keeping off-site storage as well. I keep an external hard disk at our Welsh holiday home as well as two external hard drives at home. It used to be called 'Father' 'son' and 'grandson'. Three backup drives.

When I worked for myself it was paramount that all storage which of course included stuff from customers, just had to be guaranteed otherwise like you ask 'what if a fire.............' you could lose your business. Now, retired, I could lose all my household accounts, investments etc not to mention photographs, so it still applies as far as I am concerned.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 11 Sep 2012 - 8:29 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 9:43 AM

Quote: Not ideal maybe but am I really that likely to have my house burn down?

I'm not sure why the off-site backup debate only ever seems to talk about fire. There are other things to protect against:
Theft - a few years ago on London tonight there was a couple who had been burgled and lost every pic of their kids growing up as the thiefs had knicked their backup drives as well.
Flood - An increasing problem, and don't forget your water tanks/pipes can burst too.
****-up - its easily possible to mess up a load of stuff and not notice before it gets copied to your backups. The delay in getting stuff off-site gives you a chance to go back a few days.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.