Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Does beauty exist?

scrimmy e2
6 379 5 Scotland
25 Jul 2014 7:35PM

Quote:is beauty something that exists outside of the mind

I can't think of anywhere else it can exist Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
28 Jul 2014 1:24PM
So, do we all agree that beauty is in the brain of the beholder who considers what they hear, see of feel as fitting with their idea of beautiful ??
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 1:33PM
Umm ... yes? Grin

So - hands up all those who believe more in beauty than in love ... ??? *ducks while things get thrown through the ethernet ...* Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Jul 2014 6:21PM

Quote:Does beayty exist or is it sometrhing that only exists in our imagination.
I guess what i'm getting at is beauty something that exists outside of the mind, is it objective or subjective.
I would be glad of anybody's views on this.

Danny

Yep, even more so after a few pints Smile
Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
28 Jul 2014 8:13PM
Have tried to get hubby involved! Lol but what about God? He says, if everything is created by God, surely everything is beautiful?.. Lol
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Jul 2014 8:21PM
Well whatever god you believe in it's created a whole load of ugliness too.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 8:44PM
Can there be beauty without ugliness?
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Jul 2014 8:52PM
Can there be good without evil, sweet without sour, happy without sad, dead without alive?
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 9:41AM
Everything needs the opposite of it, just so that we're able to make a judgement about it - whether it's love/hate, beauty/ugliness, happiness/sadness ... mind you, dead/alive might cause a few problems - probably a bit hard to experience both in order to make a judgement call about the other ... Grin
29 Jul 2014 11:13AM
Coming back to your question Tanya, I think there's two aspects to this, there is the classical approach or the romantic, I suppose it depends what mood I'm in some days I'll just go out with minimal equipment, just me and the camera and be quite happy just being in the moment taking hundreds of photos, not really thinking too much about the technical side of things, other days I'll be more in the classical mind and lug all the equipment around, tripod, lenses,filters etc trying to create a beautiful photograph.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in the pursuit of beauty weather it be a beautiful butterfly,a sunset, landscape, a beatiful building etc.
But sometimes as you said you encounter that magical moment when beauty meets you first and your lost for words and your heart sings, I think thats when you connect with real beauty.
You are obviously a talented photographer and you are able to make a connection with beauty, but how much of your creativity is based on Romanticism or are you more technically minded (classical).
TanyaH e2
11 687 79 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 11:50AM
Wow, you did think over the weekend, didn't you Danny! Grin

I don't think of myself as a 'talented' photographer (but I think you for the compliment) - I just do my best with what I've got at any given time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

My creativity and appreciation of beauty is often far more than my ability to capture it ... but I'm learning, every day Smile

Am I a 'romantic' photographer or a 'classical' one? Hmm ... don't know really. Probably both, if I'm honest. I want to capture a technically good, beautiful image. Romanticism may well feed the creativity in the first place, but ultimately I'll always try and create the best image I can with my current skill set and my current equipment. (Or is that a cop-out answer ?? Grin)
29 Jul 2014 11:54AM
There are two types of beauty, natural beauty and man-made beauty.
on one hand you have butterflies, birds of paradise and snowflakes, on the other you have the Taj Mahal, beethovens fifth symphony, Saint Pauls Cathedral, but the one thing they all have in common is maths and symmetry.
Whan you watch a bird of paradise display it will sing and dance and diplay it's beautiful plumage, its objective is to try and make its self more beautiful than all the other males to try and attract a female.
I guess when the emporer had the Taj Mahul built, he wanted something beautiful to remember his wife by, something that makes your heart sing when you look at it, if he'd just thrown a pile of bricks together in a heap it wouldn't have the same effect.
I believe you can have both objective and subjective beauty but I guess it will always divide opinion and remain a metaphysical question.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 12:45PM

Quote:objective and subjective beauty

What would objective beauty be? Everything a human being senses has to be assessed by the brain which decides not only what you see but how you see it and ultimately your attitude to it.

For example, from the village where I spend a lot of the year, you have a view across vineyards and fields of sunflowers to the snow capped Pyrenees on the the horizon. Many people including me would see that as beautiful.

But objectively beautiful? Beautiful if you were a Cathar 800 years ago and being hounded by the the pope's men, thirsty for your blood? In that case, far from being beautiful they are a cold and forbidding barrier to your likelihood of remaining alive and un-tortured.

It reminds me of being in Medjugorge during the Balkans war and meeting an American pilgrim to the place. She remarked how beautiful and peaceful the place was. From the hillside and not 10 miles away you could hear the sound and see the smoke of the war and the wholescale killing of the population.

Is Medjugorge beaututiful or not? To the religious woman, yes she they can ignore the carnage and see what she wishes. To the Muslim population? I doubt it.

Is it objectively beautiful or not? As ever, it;s in the eye of the beholder.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.