Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does EZP needs more B&W images?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73868 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 11:37 PM

I agree Kathy, I too often pass comment. I don't believe that we "see it" in black and white - but what I believe is we know when it will work - with practice. Its contrasts, form shape - a strong graphical element. The composition too has to be spot on as there's less distractions. I would say 80% of my monos were destined to be that way when I press the shutter - but not always.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Dec 2010 - 11:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 11:56 PM

I don't really think about whether the shot would end up mono or colour when shooting.

I just look for something that interests me, try to get an interesting angle/comp and shoot the shot in the knowledge I can do mono or colour later.

Now when the shots on my screen looking back at me, I know instantly whether mono or colour will work best. Often both work, and I do have many pairs of shots.

I shoot 90% HDR these days and sometimes the colours can be a bit strange, so they often end up as mono Wink

Grampy
Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2011 - 3:32 PM

What I find strange is that a lot of people say "does this look better in b/w" When will they get their head around the fact that b/w needs a different light than color, rare is the shot that looks great in both.I'm not getting at anyone in particular, just feeling a bit grumpy today!
As you might think I'm a member of the GRUMPY group as well.
Phill

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3214 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2011 - 4:31 PM

Agree 100% Phil that good B&W needs a different quality of light.
I would say that it is very difficult to always visualise up front which will work. Sometimes for me it is a no brainer but often a mono image will evolve whilst processing.

When I used to shoot film (mostly mono) after a while I could see in monochrome but out of practice now and it is sometimes very difficult these days to decide at the capture stage.

Bill

Sandgrouse
Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2012 - 7:34 PM

Back in November 2010 when this thread was started only 8.6% of all the photos uploaded to photography gallery were black and white images, having a quick count up of uploads this week 11.4% are black and white.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2012 - 7:42 PM

**** a doodle doo!

Wink

I uploaded mono yesterday too Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2012 - 8:01 PM

I do lots of mono and it seems to be just as successful as my colour stuff (if "successful" is the right word Tongue). But I do agree with Ade (worrying!),
Quote: I think Nik Silver EFX should be a free plugin, then the mono would be a lot more accessible

although I do lots of conversions just using PS, which is sometimes easier and more versatile so a dedicated b/w plug-in isn't an absolute necessity.

I'm hoping to do more mono this year. I've gained lots of inspiration from some of our Eastern European contributors who produce some fantastic work so I'm going to diversify, hopefully, but only when the weather gets a bit warmer. Smile

PS: Oh no. Have I joined another bloomin' Group!!!

Last Modified By SlowSong at 12 Feb 2012 - 8:02 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.