Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does the genre affect you?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 11:27 AM

Just out of interest I spotted another flare up in the gallery while looking back over the last few days. It was about bird photography and reader votes. It made me wonder why over the years the biggest issues have been through bird photography - both feathered and the glamour type. Glamour I can understand...some people find nude photography/ers seedy, but I'm not sure why people get so upset about feathered birds.

And then I started to wonder if the attitude is down to the subject....landscape photographers are generally out in the open (and can be in groups) and, apart from the weather, and maybe a difficult location to get to, there's not a lot that will frustrate them...whereas bird photographers could be cooked up in a box slightly larger than themselves and alone waiting for a little fidgety thing to land in the right spot. Does frustration sets in so the anger level rises and there's no one to take it out on...stress factor 10?

I'd be interested in your views...have you ever considered that a photographer's temperament could be a reflection of the subjects they shoot.

foot note - This thread is not intended to have a go at anyone...and I don't want it to end that way.

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Mar 2011 - 11:29 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2011 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 11:42 AM

I get bored of seeing so many nigh-on identical photographs in the gallery, particularly the awards galleries, but I don't get upset about it. That would be rather sad. I've never understood why some photographers enjoy taking photos that are indistinguishable from thousands of others but hey, that's their business, not mine.

Quote: have you ever considered that a photographer's temperament could be a reflection of the subjects they shoot.

To be honest, no. Smile

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 11:47 AM

Mind you, the image you paint of all those bird photographers cooped (yes I do mean cooped) up in their little hides all day, slowly going mental is pretty funny. Sort of like a character from the Fast Show.

Last Modified By spaceman at 24 Mar 2011 - 11:51 AM
SteveCharles
24 Mar 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think different personality types are obviously drawn to certain genres. Apologies to any bird photographers if I'm completely wrong, but I see this type as a sort of photographic stamp collecting, or train spotting. I don't mean that negatively, but that it attracts the more detail or cataloguing type of person, and in my experience people with these sort of obsessions are very particular about details which can seem trivial to those who don't share the same interests.

(Sounds like 'Psychology for Dummies' but there you go)

AlanPerkins
24 Mar 2011 - 1:31 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested in your views...have you ever considered that a photographer's temperament could be a reflection of the subjects they shoot.

Could be..

I'm a lazy b*gger, so I tend to take pictures of flowers in my garden Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 1:35 PM

Pete, that totally explains about Cheryl..... LOLGrinTongueWink

NevP
NevP  9853 forum posts Canada13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 1:36 PM

Absolutely. When you look at a picture you are looking at the photographer too.

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6689 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 2:06 PM

I too have a feeling that it's the other way round, it's more the choice of subject being a reflection of an individuals interests/personality. I don't think the patricular genre in question has any effect on their response to criticism, if photographers of other genres received the stick (excuse the pun Grin) that birders do then I suspect those photographers would react in much the same way. There will always be a few people who think that unless something is new or different in some way then it's not worth doing and tend to be fairly vocal about it, comments about birds on sticks are not restricted to EPZ, we get them at camera club too. If everyone stopped taking photographs of birds tomorrow you would soon see such comments being made about something else and no doubt the reactions would be pretty similar.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 5:50 PM

What ever rocks your boat Smile

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 5:59 PM

I shoot men in lycra, god only knows what that says about me Grin

kaybee
kaybee  103793 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 6:23 PM

You don't have to wear the lycra you know (but it is better than wearing nothing)

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 6:24 PM

Check out my new website. Www.birdonastick.com Tongue

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 6:29 PM

Quote: You don't have to wear the lycra you know (but it is better than wearing nothing)

I have to say me either in or out of lycra is not a pretty sight Smile

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Mar 2011 - 7:45 PM

I think the issue with bird photography is more when it comes to bird portraits (as opposed to action shots), a bird posed on a stick, is going to have been photographed before as there are only so many species of birds, so people tire of them. What people have to remember is there is no real difference between taking a portrait of a robin (for example) and taking a portrait of you kids! Robins are an easy target as the pose readily, as are your kids, the only difference is that many thousands of people will have photographed a robin (not the same robin I would hope) where as not many people would photograph your kids. It's purely a numbers game in my opinion.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 8:36 PM

Anyone who thinks all birds on a stick are easy I would suggest you try to photograph a coal tit or crested tit.

Joking aside I try not to actually criticise something I have not tried for myself. I think those that think the bird lands on a perch and then just poses happily for a long period of time might if they were to try it for themselves be in for a shock Wink

Why do I like sitting in a wooden hide as suggested by Pete, well actually after working in an open plan office all day I like the solitude of it? Is all wildlife photography about being in a hide, of course not. A very narrow view of the genre I think has been described.

Good job we are not all interested in the same subject else every up shot uploaded would be of BEM - oh wait, it already is Tongue

Last Modified By csurry at 24 Mar 2011 - 8:37 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.