Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Does the genre affect you?


26 Mar 2011 9:25PM

Quote:I think those that think the bird lands on a perch and then just poses happily for a long period of time might if they were to try it for themselves be in for a shock


In 60 years or so, I've never managed a satisfactory photograph of a bird (feathered variety).

Where's that bl**dy stick? Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2011 9:32PM

Quote:In 60 years or so, I've never managed a satisfactory photograph of a bird (feathered variety)


Once one of my cats gave me a robbin it had just caught and killed. So I skewered it on a fork and stuck it on a plate with some spuds and peas.

It did not go down to well at a local camera club competition on the subject of garden wildlife Smile
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
26 Mar 2011 9:36PM
Paul

Major LOL

It gives me inspiration.
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
26 Mar 2011 9:42PM

Quote:

Once one of my cats gave me a robbin it had just caught and killed. So I skewered it on a fork and stuck it on a plate with some spuds and peas.

It did not go down to well at a local camera club competition on the subject of garden wildlife Smile



Have you got the picture to show in this forum and let it be appraised by your photographic peers?
26 Mar 2011 9:44PM

Quote:It did not go down to well at a local camera club competition on the subject of garden wildlife


You need to tie some lead weights to it legs first. Wink
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2011 11:12PM
I may ask, what is a robbin?

Can't seem to find it on the RSPB siteTongue

I thought robbin, especially with an apostrophe - hence robbin' was a term used by ner' do wells
26 Mar 2011 11:26PM

Quote:I thought robbin, especially with an apostrophe - hence robbin' was a term used by ner' do wells



You mean like 'Morgan the Pirate'? Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2011 11:34PM
Lol yeh ok Robin Smile


Quote:hence robbin' was a term used by ner' do wells


Birds on sticks don`t really interest me, unless there split down the middle, seasoned and grilled Smile

As a genre on EPZ, the same approach and style is always used, and these images do nothing to stir senses or emotions.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2011 11:35PM

Quote:You mean like 'Morgan the Pirate'?


Jas Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2011 11:45PM

Quote:Have you got the picture to show in this forum and let it be appraised by your photographic peers?


Not any more, this must have been a good thirty years ago.

Next time one of the cats brings one home I might try a re-run.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Mar 2011 11:57PM

Quote:I'd be interested in your views...have you ever considered that a photographer's temperament could be a reflection of the subjects they shoot


Yes Smile

Landscapers are probably the most laid back

Wildlife/Nature are the most easily upset by far
Alan_Coles e2
9 176 11 Wales
27 Mar 2011 9:03AM

Quote:As a genre on EPZ, the same approach and style is always used, and these images do nothing to stir senses or emotions.


That might be something to do with this site as it is widely considered that the awards are based on nice "studio" background with no distractions Sad
27 Mar 2011 9:36AM

Quote:I'd be interested in your views...have you ever considered that a photographer's temperament could be a reflection of the subjects they shoot

Yes Smile

Landscapers are probably the most laid back

Wildlife/Nature are the most easily upset by far



I'm not sure where that would put me.

I can't abide landscapes, yet if I were any further laid back, I'd be upside down
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
27 Mar 2011 10:14AM
I tend to photograph anything that currently appeals to me. I thought I'd give bird photography a try about six months ago.

Couldn't be that difficult could it? I see so many images on EPZ of birds posing nicely!

How wrong I was! I never use a hide I use a monopod out in the open.

I've lost count of the times that the birds have flown away just as I pressed the shutter!

The failure rate is high as far as I'm concerned.

So yes, you do see a lot of robins. (or in my case Chaffinches) on EPZ

It is very demanding to get right.

I find street photography a lot easier to be honest!Smile

As for landscapes, yes you do need to wait for the correct light etc but they tend not to fly away just as you press the shutter!Wink

I have to say that a lot of landscape images(but not all) that appear on EPZ have no resemblance to what was originally taken! Some of them take on the appearance of scenes that wouldn't be out of place in Sci fi films!

It would be interesting to see what would be the response if you applied the same principle to bird photography?

Ken
"I have to say that a lot of landscape images(but not all) that appear on EPZ have no resemblance to what was originally taken! Some of them take on the appearance of scenes that wouldn't be out of place in Sci fi films!"( franken)

I agree entirely with with this statement.
JNC

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.