Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Dog photography for Dogs Trust - Justin Paget

Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
15 Mar 2012 11:00PM
http://www.justinpaget.com/clients/dogstrust/

I loved these shots that this photographer got at Dogs Trust Snetterton. Why can't I get pics like this! Though I think he is big on lighting....

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
16 Mar 2012 7:33AM
Why not contact him and ask him to do a piece for the site?Grin You can get all his secrets then!
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Mar 2012 8:31AM
No disrespect to the photographer, Sus, but just high key shots though, shouldn't be too hard to do.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
16 Mar 2012 8:54AM
Hard for me to do Sad Yes, I need his secrets!
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
16 Mar 2012 11:44AM
It might be worth checking whether or not your camera has a high key setting tucked away somewhere, I know Olympus DSLRs do..and probably many others.

Otherwise you can experiment with the exposure compensation control to dial in a degree of overexposure. Also try to use a white or light coloured background.
KathyW e2
11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
16 Mar 2012 6:22PM
He probably has one of those lastolite hi-lite things that will give you a plain white background and uses a couple of lights either side of the subject. No big secret really, you just need the kit.

I want that collie cross!!! Wink
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
16 Mar 2012 6:40PM
Me too!!
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
17 Mar 2012 10:04AM
Actually I prefer the one of the staffie which doesn't have a high key background. I think I just need a nice suitable background like that set up in a suitable place in the house. My comments on my last lab picture showed that I strugged with the background lighting and shadowing. I think the ones here where he's totally removed all background and just left the dog suspended in white space look a bit weird. Its just getting the right gentle shadow around the dog. But if I go for a 'set' (ie like those gundog backgrounds) I won't have to worry about that. I have some ideas!
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Mar 2012 10:10AM
Just find a door/wall with peeled off paints, like you would with people portrait. Should work nicely with the colour and textures.
Sus e2
10 3.2k 9 England
17 Mar 2012 11:27AM
Good idea, I want something in the house or garden so I've got it to hand. But that's given me some ideas.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.