Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dog strobist....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2011 - 10:51 PM

What a bizzare shoot... someone had seen my cow shots and wanted one like that of his dog, so did it up at Brimham Rocks today.

Can't show the photos yet - they're a present for someone...

but yeah, very wierd trying to strobe a mad, 6 month old dog on a rock - though got a few class shots... many hillarious...

anyone done any strobist stuff with dogs ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2011 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2011 - 11:30 PM

Thus far nothing more technical than messing around bouncing the flash around the room (low ceilings in houses with beams is, in my experience, not easy with bouncing flash around Wink) or direct shot through a small softbox on camera.

Wouldn't mind learning more strobist setups with them, but I lack the gear to do more than a one flash setup at present.

ade_mcfade
12 Apr 2011 - 11:42 PM

well the main problem I had was flash-recharge

the dog moved so fast that you needed to shoot fast

the sun was bright so needed powerful flash

I had 2 flash to begin with, but 2 was best

Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2011 - 12:09 AM

Aye I an certainly appreciate that problem, I've recently added a pixel battery pack for my flash setups - mostly so that I could get a fast series of bursts out for when I handhold a focus stack. Since often the flash wouldn't recycle fast enough and I'd miss key frames -- the canon twinflash really needs this since its older design really is slower even with the battery pack (in contrast my 580EX2 with the battery pack recycles insanely fast)

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2011 - 7:16 AM

Can't wait to see your result, Ade. Maybe that is my next step. Come on, inspire me...Smile

ade_mcfade
13 Apr 2011 - 9:50 AM

Well yeah - a proper battery pack would have worked wonders with this Smile

Most of the shots weren't strobist Cole, we tried doing the "running over heather" shots, but it was incredibly hard to track her because she'd go out of site then jump up, then out of site again! 90% of those were blurred, the 5D's AF system wasn't made for that Wink

But I had her on a rock at head height with, firstly, one light, then secondly 2, and under exposed the sky. Sky is dramatic as hell in some of then too Smile

They'll not be on here till mid may though - be a huge shame if the recipient of the presents saw them in advance, however unlikely it is

jken
jken  71672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2011 - 10:09 AM

Doing the same Ade, someone that bought one of my cow prints wants there livestock shooting the same, in fact she just collared me on the school run to set a date.

Keeferoo
Keeferoo  6 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2011 - 6:54 PM

this was my first attempt, with a new sb24....still a fav of mine.........there was v little planning in it, was getting to grips with the strobist thing.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/keeferoo-66328/gallery/photo/lil-mo-8342705 (i can only seem to add a link instead of the photo)

Be good to see your results Ade...........

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2011 - 7:30 PM

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see the results. Do you mean your fisheye-like cow shots? I wasn't sure whether you meant strobist as in multiple flashes with a long exposure creating a sequence?

jimthistle73
14 Apr 2011 - 1:36 AM

No way - just wrote a blog post on this very subject this afternoon! UK Highland Photography kindly sent me a set of their Pocket Wizard copies to test. I'd had them a month and they'd never left the house, so motivated by guilt, I took them on today's dog walk - blog post HERE. It's actually called "Dog portraits strobist style"!!

But earlier on this morning I managed to grab a strobist style shot of a client's dog very similar to some of your cow shots - they're up on Facebook HERE - don't worry, there's only nine shots in the album. The client's dog was lovely, but not as well trained as mine to sit and pose for photos...

The key for me is to get everything set up (pre-focus, camera settings, wireless flash in position, plan of action worked out with dog owner) and then bribe the dog with treats to get it to be where you need it to be, whether it's an action shot or a static portrait.

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2011 - 1:46 PM

Love them! So basically you mean off camera flash portraits rather than multiple exposures - sorry me being dense, I used to follow strobist website but haven't used my flashguns in anger for ages.

Jim how did you shoot Benson's photos? Where was the flashgun, did you have any modifiers or was it direct, and did you just use the one, or did you have reflectors etc? Did you have the flash on a tripod?

And as 5th parcel in as many days has just arrived for OH (I have no idea what he's buying, but its the excitement of getting a parcel through the post), I think I am due a purchase, so what's this about battery packs?

Feeling very inspired, might try some of this later (tho' its grim out...)

ade_mcfade
15 Apr 2011 - 6:56 PM

This kinda thing - this isn't one of the best, they'll come later when the recipient has had them printed and framed and handed over as a pressy Wink

Straight out of the camera - JPG extracted from the RAW file and resized for preview.

-mg-2290.jpg

The best shot is pretty cool - involves a tongue

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2011 - 7:06 PM

Dramatic. I want more! Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.