Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dogs In Cars

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Jun 2013 11:01PM
What a great series of photographs by Martin Usborne: Dogs in Cars

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2013 11:12PM
Don't you just hate it?....Tongue
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2013 11:22PM
This to me is brilliant photography, take the most simplest of subjects and make it your own.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Jun 2013 11:28PM

Quote:This to me is brilliant photography, take the most simplest of subjects and make it your own.

Exactly...it's all out there to be recorded...just having the imagination to find it and that's certainly one thing the camera cant do for us.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jun 2013 11:31PM
Hehe great stuff Smile
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
17 Jun 2013 8:26AM
Brilliant!

Ken
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 9:11AM
what an emotive set of pictures.
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 9:32AM
The sort of thing that photography can do uniquely well, when the primary aim is to document rather than pretend to be artists or painters. Cartier-Bresson was of the opinion that a good photographer had more in common with a novelist than a painter. Pix like this show how right he was. This is primarily idea, observation and then well executed. Highly progfessional, great stuff.

Also, for anyone wondering how a web site should look, Usborne's is a great object lesson. Lean, clean and bluesy as Creedence Clearwater would have it. Everything, the colours, the layout the operation is minimal, leaving all attention to be focused on the pictures. Wordpress, I think.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
17 Jun 2013 10:18AM
These are fabulous images and I love them. However, it seems that by describing them as "documentary" he is somehow suggesting the images are captured as found. But it looks as though he's used some quite sophisticated lighting and that the scenes are set up. Not that I'm criticising, it's brilliant work. But I'd like some sort of info as to what his MO was.

Like Lemmy though, I think the design of the website is excellent.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jun 2013 10:25AM
When I read the title, I thought: oh no, not dogs in cars during hot summer months!

Love them, obviously set up with lighting etc, but gave me some ideas on how to progress my doggie shots.
17 Jun 2013 10:39AM
Number 21 shows an amusing set up. The dog is an Italian Spinone in a MINI - a highly unlikely combination as the dog will weigh about 90lbs and take up most of the car, also -real giveaway- the windows are clean. Lack of large 'nosemarks' and slobber indicates the dog hasn't been in there long !

Helen (owner of 2 Spinoni)
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 11:09AM

Quote: it seems that by describing them as "documentary" he is somehow suggesting the images are captured as found

Quote:Definition of Documentary (oxford dictionary)

using pictures or interviews with people involved in real events to provide a factual report on a particular subject:

I find in this case the Illustrate and document the subject perfectly
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
17 Jun 2013 11:53AM
I stand corrected. Blush
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 12:10PM

Quote:But it looks as though he's used some quite sophisticated lighting and that the scenes are set up

Some look natural, some look lit. That's as it should be - if you see the picture you are looking for but it is not expressed well in its natural state, you do what you can to make it look how you wanted. If you visualize a picture but don't expect it to present itself to you, you set it up. That's what being professional is. The only claim Unscome makes is that these are pictures of dogs in cars. Nowhere does he say they are 'taken as found' or documentary if that is what it is supposed to mean.

From a practical pro's view, think about how long you would have to walk around to find this variety of dogs in this variety of cars. it just isn't going to happen.

Such is the visual impact, my instincts tell me these images are styled. They almost seem colour coordinated which makes me doubt that all of these dogs belong in the car they are photographed in.

Re large dogs in cars, an actress I knew had one of those massive grey haired Irish wolfhounds, much larger than that dog and she transported it around in an original Mini. Everyone wondered how she managed it but she did.

Regardless, these are pictures for general viewers rather than photographers. I personally would have more respect for his ability if each and every one of these pictures were styled and set up than if he did get them all by serendipity.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
17 Jun 2013 12:31PM

Quote: Nowhere does he say they are 'taken as found' or documentary if that is what it is supposed to mean.
Having read it again I have to agree. Golly, I've been corrected twice in one morning. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.