Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Don McCullin tries digital for the first time!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73883 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 12:55 AM

Now I've watched it in full, it was very inspiring., 135mm I've very rarely used that focal length ( once as I recall - for my favourite landscape image).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Nov 2012 - 12:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315403 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 1:00 AM

It was a widley used and popular focal length once upon a time, perfect for outdoor portraits or indoor sports.

I have an old 135 f2.5 tamron that I sometimes use on M4/3, behaves like a 270mm f2.5 Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315403 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 1:15 AM

The Canon 135 f2 is just lovely and I can`t understand why so few use it.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 10 Nov 2012 - 1:15 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 1:23 AM

Quote: The Canon 135 f2 is just lovely and I can`t understand why so few use it.

The price of around £900 and the fact it doesn't zoom? Wink

Paul Morgan
10 Nov 2012 - 1:28 AM

These appear to be selling well, if only I could afford one Smile

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-75mm-f-1-8-lens-review...

JJGEE
JJGEE  96311 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 8:11 AM

Quote: 135mm I've very rarely used that focal length

I have the Zeiss 135mm f1.8 and predominantly use it, as the saying goes, as " my walkabout lens " at festivals and events.
Super lens even though it is slightly heavy.

puertouk
puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 12:34 PM

Great tog who has an eye for a great image and that´s why he´s been a top pro for so many years. As he says, very moody images.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122261 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Well not only one of my favourite photographers but all taken within a few minutes from me. And nobody told me he was around which is rather annoying. The market was in Olonzac just a 5 minute drive from our village. Then they were in Narbonne, around the Hotel de Ville and the indoor market. The oyster beds were by Bouzigue near Sete. The only depressing thing about it was that he came away with stunning photographs in such a short space of time and I have been living here for years and virtually nowt to show for it. A cracking little film nevertheless. Thank you Pete.

By the way, if anyone is interested in having a go photographing this area send me a private mail as I could easily help out.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 6:16 PM

Very interesting and a little sad in a way. There are plenty of EPZ members in the 'senior' category, like Don, who got to grips with digital years ago. To see someone of his ability and reputation expressing wonderment at things we - these days - take for granted was quite odd.

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 - 9:03 PM

I don't think this is his first use of a digital camera.

Quote: The stunning principal photograph captures the tattoo of a Victoria Cross which covers Beharry’s back, and was the first digital
photograph by McCullin to ever go on public display. It was commissioned by IWM in 2010 for the opening of its Extraordinary Heroes exhibition in The Lord Ashcroft Gallery at IWM London.

Reference Link

Snapper
Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 10:31 PM

From the "About the film" part/section

As Canon is one of the key sponsors of the Ian Parry Scholarship CPN got an invite to witness the 2011 judging.

Over lunch on that day the table talk turned to what projects Don McCullin was currently working on and how he had begun to experiment with using digital cameras, including the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. It was then that an idea took shape – what if CPN could document Don McCullin’s journey into shooting with digital cameras?

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 - 5:12 AM

Well I guess his journey started in about 2010 and a continues, like it does for many of us.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.