Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Don McCullin tries digital for the first time!

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
10 Nov 2012 12:55AM
Now I've watched it in full, it was very inspiring., 135mm I've very rarely used that focal length ( once as I recall - for my favourite landscape image).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Nov 2012 1:00AM
It was a widley used and popular focal length once upon a time, perfect for outdoor portraits or indoor sports.

I have an old 135 f2.5 tamron that I sometimes use on M4/3, behaves like a 270mm f2.5 Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Nov 2012 1:15AM
The Canon 135 f2 is just lovely and I can`t understand why so few use it.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Nov 2012 1:23AM

Quote:The Canon 135 f2 is just lovely and I can`t understand why so few use it.

The price of around £900 and the fact it doesn't zoom? Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Nov 2012 1:28AM
These appear to be selling well, if only I could afford one Smile

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-75mm-f-1-8-lens-review-20557
JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
10 Nov 2012 8:11AM

Quote:135mm I've very rarely used that focal length

I have the Zeiss 135mm f1.8 and predominantly use it, as the saying goes, as " my walkabout lens " at festivals and events.
Super lens even though it is slightly heavy.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 12:34PM
Great tog who has an eye for a great image and that´s why he´s been a top pro for so many years. As he says, very moody images.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 1:14PM
Well not only one of my favourite photographers but all taken within a few minutes from me. And nobody told me he was around which is rather annoying. The market was in Olonzac just a 5 minute drive from our village. Then they were in Narbonne, around the Hotel de Ville and the indoor market. The oyster beds were by Bouzigue near Sete. The only depressing thing about it was that he came away with stunning photographs in such a short space of time and I have been living here for years and virtually nowt to show for it. A cracking little film nevertheless. Thank you Pete.

By the way, if anyone is interested in having a go photographing this area send me a private mail as I could easily help out.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Nov 2012 6:16PM
Very interesting and a little sad in a way. There are plenty of EPZ members in the 'senior' category, like Don, who got to grips with digital years ago. To see someone of his ability and reputation expressing wonderment at things we - these days - take for granted was quite odd.
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 9:03PM
I don't think this is his first use of a digital camera.

Quote:The stunning principal photograph captures the tattoo of a Victoria Cross which covers Beharry’s back, and was the first digital
photograph by McCullin to ever go on public display. It was commissioned by IWM in 2010 for the opening of its Extraordinary Heroes exhibition in The Lord Ashcroft Gallery at IWM London.

Reference Link
Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
10 Nov 2012 10:31PM
From the "About the film" part/section

As Canon is one of the key sponsors of the Ian Parry Scholarship CPN got an invite to witness the 2011 judging.

Over lunch on that day the table talk turned to what projects Don McCullin was currently working on and how he had begun to experiment with using digital cameras, including the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. It was then that an idea took shape – what if CPN could document Don McCullin’s journey into shooting with digital cameras?
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 5:12AM
Well I guess his journey started in about 2010 and a continues, like it does for many of us.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.