Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Don't Prove...Improve

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:08 PM

Those are basically the words Long time National Geographic Photojournalist Bruce Dale said to Dewitt Jones many years ago when he took him under his wing at the beginning of Dewitt's destinguished career with NG. So many countless hours are spent trying to prove ourselves to others, rather than spend those hours improving our technique, and sharpening our eyes.

Both amateurs and pros sometimes refuse to share technique that makes their photography special, rather than their vision. Dewitt says; "Folks, don't go there. You get better a lot faster by focusing on improving, not proving. You learn more by sharing than by hoarding."

Head of photography at National Geographic Bob Gilke hired Jones years ago, and this is what he said to him: "Look, if you work here, you're part of a team of photographers that are the best in the world. I believe that, and you'd better believe that, too.You don't have to prove yourself, not to me, or to the other photographers. What I do demand that you do, is improve yourself. Every day, strive to be a better photographer, and a better visual storyteller. And everything you learn, share it openly with the other photographers here at NG. Improve and share; If you do that, you'll do fine. If not, you won't work here long."

My inspiration for this thread was the one going on regarding giving information on gallery pics.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 7 Dec 2012 - 10:10 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2012 - 10:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 8:16 AM

Aye totally agree another point is you can tell the real pros on here because they don't shoe their exif data alot of the timeWink

Rod

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 8:16 AM

shoe no share lol

franken
franken e2 Member 123175 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 9:30 AM

Quote: Aye totally agree another point is you can tell the real pros on here because they don't shoe their exif data alot of the timeWink

Rod

Looking at Exif data on images can be useful but its far from essential really. Only the photographer can compose the image and decide on the exact time to press the shutter.

Some of the worlds greatest photographers got by really well without Exif data being available.

Exif data can be changed on uploads of images to EPZ. I looked at the data of a bird upload recently and the photographer managed to take the shot on the 19th November 2013!

Ken

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 9:38 AM

I couldn't agree more with this thread, maybe the voting brings out the competition in people and stops them wanting to share. Since joining a few days ago I have contacted one or two people, politely asking about particular techniques they have used. I could accept a "get lost", or "I haven't got time right now" but as yet have not received a single acknowledgement Sad

Just one small point on Exif Data.. Some of my own images contain several layers, exposures and composites.
To show exif data on these would be meaningless, but could even be construed as misleading.... just a thoughtSmile

Peter

franken
franken e2 Member 123175 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: I couldn't agree more with this thread, maybe the voting brings out the competition in people and stops them wanting to share. Since joining a few days ago I have contacted one or two people, politely asking about particular techniques they have used. I could accept a "get lost", or "I haven't got time right now" but as yet have not received a single ack

"I've been approached and asked a few times as to how i did this or that and I do tend to give the answer.

Human nature being what it is some people may decline to offer help and guidance as they may have spent a great deal of time and effort in order to achieve the level of work that they have and may consider that others should do the same?

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 8 Dec 2012 - 9:57 AM
p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 11:11 AM

Quote: "I've been approached and asked a few times as to how i did this or that and I do tend to give the answer.
Human nature being what it is some people may decline to offer help and guidance as they may have spent a great deal of time and effort in order to achieve the level of work that they have and may consider that others should do the same?

Ken

I think we can all appreciate that sentiment, though equally, many techniques and effects are down to a particular plugin that someone has been generously told about, but would then prefer to keep to themselves.
Surely, as the original post implies, In a community, should we not lean more towards improving and sharing? Anyway my gripe is really with those who do not reply at all.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72330 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 4:19 PM

This subject is a bit dependent on the technique or process in question.
I've invested a fair amount of time and money into lighting workshops or retouch technique dvd's,
and I dont think I should feel obliged to share this information for nothing.

That said, if I find a technique video on youtoube, which after trying, if think is worth sharing, I would do so.
Same with a magazine tutorial.

I am however, always trying to improve.

Last Modified By arhb at 8 Dec 2012 - 4:21 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 7:54 PM

Imo, the EXIF data is most useful to the person who took the shot. I review mine frequently.

I think the gist of the article from which I got the idea for this post was more about one sharing techniques and ideas that would help improve anyone's photography, rather than keeping it a big classified secret with the intent of gaining an advantage over other togs.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 8 Dec 2012 - 7:57 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 8:07 PM

i give all my secrets away each week in workshops.... around leeds and yorkshire Wink

PCarman
PCarman  2
8 Dec 2012 - 8:09 PM

Frankly im confused as to where the bloody EXIF data is i know what it is what it does etc but cant seem to find it lol or set it . iv got a Nikon d3100 and maybe im a bit slow

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 8:12 PM

if you use free viewer IrfanView, you can access all the info by pressing "I" - then the exif is available by pressing "E"

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 8:38 PM

Quote: I couldn't agree more with this thread, maybe the voting brings out the competition in people and stops them wanting to share. Since joining a few days ago I have contacted one or two people, politely asking about particular techniques they have used. I could accept a "get lost", or "I haven't got time right now" but as yet have not received a single acknowledgement Sad

Just one small point on Exif Data.. Some of my own images contain several layers, exposures and composites.
To show exif data on these would be meaningless, but could even be construed as misleading.... just a thoughtSmile

Peter

I personally dont think the voting system brings out competition in the gallery, neither does having the exif mean that much...the exif only shows what the camera recorded not how the shot was set by the photographer and subsequent post processing.

As for helping people the its down to the individual as to how they view thier photography...if its a business then they arent going to share to much...even a hobbyist wont share to much as they have put huge amounts of time into an image are rightly proud of it.

I helped a chap on printing who had pm'd me and it took me a good 30 mins to think out the workflow and pass on the information and I didnt even get a Cheers Mate!!

I do believe the site itself has the answer to most photographic and technique issues via the critique gallery....Its helped me no end and people are so happy to helpSmileWink

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95933 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 9:58 PM

Quote: I looked at the data of a bird upload recently and the photographer managed to take the shot on the 19th November 2013!

Ken

There has been an issue, where the date/time in the EXIF data, has not been uploading correctly

Sorted now thoughWink

strokebloke
8 Dec 2012 - 10:32 PM

And yet several of those who offer critique in that gallery, will often complain bitterly to the OP if the EXIF data is not included: whilst the consensus here, is that it is more important to the OP.
I must admit to being unsure, at times, just why the EXIF data is so vitally important to critiquers.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.