Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Don't Prove...Improve

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72116 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 11:45 PM

Quote: Imo, the EXIF data is most useful to the person who took the shot. I review mine frequently.

I think the gist of the article from which I got the idea for this post was more about one sharing techniques and ideas that would help improve anyone's photography, rather than keeping it a big classified secret with the intent of gaining an advantage over other togs.

I do like this idea Denny, and I imagine it working to its upmost within a tight group/community, as in the article,
where huge improvements can be made by sharing and bouncing ideas and techniques off one another, while striving to achieve a certain goal.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Dec 2012 - 11:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
8 Dec 2012 - 11:49 PM

Quote: I must admit to being unsure, at times, just why the EXIF data is so vitally important to critiquers.

I've never found it to be desperately important.
It might confirm the critiquer's guess that the blur in your image is caused by too slow a shutter speed or that there's noise because your ISO was too high but the information contained in the EXIF is only relevant to the image to which it's attached and at the time that said image was taken.
Attempting to use the settings yourself will only work if you can exactly replicate the situation in which the critiqued images as taken.
And that's not going to happen.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 8 Dec 2012 - 11:52 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 11:49 PM

it,s not always vitally important to critiquers, but often can be. I suppose it's a case of if it had to be an either or situation the critique team would by f prefer that EXIF was available.

The reason? all types and standards of photos get psoted for critique by all types and standards of posters. It is much easier to give a critique on say, a shot with motion blur, if the EXIF can tell the critiquer instantly that it was shot at 1/15 - without having to waste time and momentum by having to go back and ask the poster for that..and if the exif showed for instance that the ISO was 50, then instantly a suggestion can be made about how to increase the shutter speed..etc

Stephen

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 11:52 PM

I find it nice to have an idea when critiquing, particularly with newer photographers, as it helps identify areas where they might improve overall technique, as many don't necessarily know what the camera is deciding for them.
However, it's only to get an idea, not an exact thing. For instance, someone wanting large depth of field and shooting wide open needs to know where they are going wrong (It does make me smile when critiquers say things like, "we'll you used f/8, I think f/11 would be better", or, "you used 1/125, whereas i would use 1/250 for this" as it's often just splitting hairs).

For most of us, the conditions at the time of shooting determine what you can do with the settings, so the actual details are largely irrelevant, as conditions when someone else shoots will be different. When people post threads like, "what settings should I use for...." The answers can only be generalisations, you aren't there at the time, so cannot definitely say.
A picture in dull conditions overexposed will be lighter than one in bright conditions underexposed, so is the exif of any use?

I have thousands of pictures, and never really look at the exif, as conditions will rarely be the same from one opportunity to the next, so I just assess conditions at the time.

Nick

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 11:45 AM

I think exif is a useful factor and will always share it. From years of writing captions for magazines and web articles I know exposure details can be helpful. I also know from past experience those against it are those who know how it all works and don't think others need to know. Well from research on magazine I can tell you that generally it's more helpful to beginners or those less experienced in the specific genre that it's applied to. Certain effects can be archived with specific exposure and lens combinations. Replicating those is easier for less experienced if the info is given. Recipe books don't say get the ingredients, mix them up and there you go. They add amounts and times and steps ...all useful.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 7:41 PM

Good analogy Pete. We've always had a bit of an issue here, which is probably only human nature, with feeling that because we've done it and learned it, we don't want to see it anymore. We forget that at any given time, there are members at all stages of their learning on here, and we have to have patience.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.