Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Don't you hate the word 'tog'?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
James_G
James_G  7166 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:07 PM

Am I the only person on EPZ who can't abide the word 'tog'? Where did it come from? It sounds as if someone has sat down one day to try to dream up a word that will give people a semi-exclusive language. Why not 'phots' or 'graphs' in that case? Just as ludicrous and irritating. The other day I saw a new member on another thread asking 'what is a tog?'. It clearly isn't in widespread use. I'd never heard it before I joined. It's not used in books or magazines (those that I see). I'm a beginner in photography but work in newspapers and in the industry photographers are universally referred to as 'snappers'. Some of them are 'paps' and if you want to be rude you can call them 'monkeys', but never, ever 'togs'. Whoever heard of Robert Capa being referred to as a 'war tog'? Or Henri Cartier-Bresson as the 'famous Parisian tog'? A tog, for those who don't know, is an efficiency rating for duvets. Let's stop using it. For tog's sake...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2008 - 3:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 Sep 2008 - 3:15 PM

I can't say I'm particularly keen on the term either, James. However, it doesn't bother me all that much.

I would assume 'tog' was was picked out because it's the syllable which tends to receive the most emphasis.

I've always thought 'shrooms was more clumsy to say than mushrooms, too, but it was pretty widespread on ePz not so long ago.

Smile

Jools_jti
Jools_jti  8257 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2008 - 3:22 PM

I have only come to use it in posting or emails, but as it appears to cause such concern, I shall endeavour to refrain.

When referring to a photographer, I shall refer the photographer as a photography and not by any truncated versions of the word photographer.

Smile oops sorry, I currently have an expression indicating my current demeanour, that being, happy or pleased. Tongue

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:25 PM

try typing

"tog"

ok - pretty quick

now type

"photographer"

took a lot longer eh?

THAT's why people use "tog"

simple really Smile

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:28 PM

Wh? U mean that it is slang to use tog?
we r allowed to use slang now? Wink

*does not know enough to get away with doing this post right Wink*

keith selmes
9 Sep 2008 - 3:28 PM

An old fashioned civil servant would never use one syllable where three would do. But this is the internet.

And I hate "snapper", its so degrading.

samfurlong
9 Sep 2008 - 3:29 PM

I don't really mind to be honest, snapper is the usual term in newspapers as James says, and if we're off to do a snatch or celeb sort of job then we generally say we're going to 'pap em off'.

It's just an abbreviation, unlike (say) monkeys which is clearly a derogatory term which I don't like.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:31 PM

I agree, self-agrandising, exclusive.
Many professions have such terms to make them seem more glamorous than they really are.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 Sep 2008 - 3:32 PM

I touch-type (in a style entirely my own), so it probably doesn't take more than a second longer to type "photographer" than it would to type "tog". Tongue

Last Modified By mdpontin at 9 Sep 2008 - 3:32 PM
User_Removed
9 Sep 2008 - 3:33 PM

I have no problems with tog or snapper but call me a pap and you'll get me 70-200 round yer lug 'ole Grin

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315563 forum posts England
9 Sep 2008 - 3:44 PM

How about "pappy" ?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:44 PM

Quote: I touch-type (in a style entirely my own), so it probably doesn't take more than a second longer to type "photographer" than it would to type "tog".

that's a lifetime!!!!

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
9 Sep 2008 - 3:47 PM

Yes.

And '4', 'U', 'Gr8' and all other 'textlish' phrases when used in situations other than for 'texting'.

It's sheer laziness, especially when used on roadside advertising placards which are in place for months, as the time saved is irrelevant when compared to the life of the advert.

fauxtography
9 Sep 2008 - 3:51 PM

Quote: How about "pappy" ?

You called?

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82318 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2008 - 3:55 PM

I don't mind it - it just another bit of slang for 'person' in my mind. Although I agree that texting and the net may reduce the quality of english usage, I don't see it as laziness - but as a method to increase speed an attempt to retain spontaniety. Hence I don't bother spell checking my posts... this is supposed to be a bit of fun.

But just to wind up others - TOG also means 'Terry's Old Gezziers' and yes that does refer to Terry Wogan.

Adam

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.