Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Donna Nook - lens size

Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 7:36PM
I'm thinking of going to Donna Nook next week to photograph the seals and their pups. I understand the seals can be close to the viewing area and wonder if my 40 - 150 lens (which is equivalent to 80 - 300 on 35mm on my Olympus) will be long enough?
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
15 Nov 2012 10:43PM
Yes they're really close to the viewing area so that range is no problem. The only advantage of a longer lens is you can shoot some of the seals and pups that are further away from the viewing area which can sometimes give a slightly more "in the wild" result.
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 11:17PM
Thank you. I probably wouldn't use a longer lens enough to justify the outlay so I'll see how I get on with my existing 40 - 150 lens. I'm not too worried if I don't get any decent shots, it will be nice enough just to see them.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 11:50PM
Yes it is, they come up to the fence line....keep an eye on the Lincs Wildlife Trust website to see how many seals are on the beach, the more there are the closer they will be.

http://lincstrust.org.uk/wildlife/index.php

Great place, we go every year. Good luck and enjoy.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 10:12AM
....bookmarking
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
16 Nov 2012 12:14PM
I took this one last year using the Olympus 40-150mm.

donna-nook.jpg

Tip: Don't shoot over the fence. Find a suitable spot with a large enough gap to poke your lens through (easier with the small Olympus lens) and shoot from a lower viewpoint. That way you'll get a better background.
Zydeco_Joe 8 69 England
18 Nov 2012 10:34PM
mother-and-pup.jpg

Went to Donna Nook last weekend, fence is a problem but you can still get good shots.
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 11:47PM
Well I went last week and spent about two hours there. I had planned to make two visits but the weather put paid to that. The fence is actually a double fence with a couple of feet between so difficult to poke the lens through! There were a few places with gates onto the beach so only the single fence in that part so you could poke the lens through there (actually through the gate) but of course it depended if there were seals on the other side in that exact spot! I just kept the lens as low as possible over the fence/s.
Quite a few pups came right up to the fence - too close to photograph. One of the wardens reckons they are attracted by the movement of the people. I took just over a hundred shots and I'm happy with most of them and especially so with around a dozen.
It was very busy even on a weekday. The car park is far too small and I was lucky to get a space for for my 20ft long camper. I didn't fancy the grass overflow car park - I think the camper may have sunk!
Thanks for all the advice and here's one my shots it's called Full Up. bd-05--donna-nook-seal.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.