Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Donna Nook - lens size

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Campervanman
    Campervanman e2 Member 6711 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 7:36 PM

I'm thinking of going to Donna Nook next week to photograph the seals and their pups. I understand the seals can be close to the viewing area and wonder if my 40 - 150 lens (which is equivalent to 80 - 300 on 35mm on my Olympus) will be long enough?
    Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Nov 2012 - 7:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yes they're really close to the viewing area so that range is no problem. The only advantage of a longer lens is you can shoot some of the seals and pups that are further away from the viewing area which can sometimes give a slightly more "in the wild" result.

Campervanman
    Campervanman e2 Member 6711 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 11:17 PM

Thank you. I probably wouldn't use a longer lens enough to justify the outlay so I'll see how I get on with my existing 40 - 150 lens. I'm not too worried if I don't get any decent shots, it will be nice enough just to see them.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

KNS
    KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2012 - 11:50 PM

Yes it is, they come up to the fence line....keep an eye on the Lincs Wildlife Trust website to see how many seals are on the beach, the more there are the closer they will be.

http://lincstrust.org.uk/wildlife/index.php

Great place, we go every year. Good luck and enjoy.

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    16 Nov 2012 - 10:12 AM

....bookmarking

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 12:14 PM

I took this one last year using the Olympus 40-150mm.

donna-nook.jpg

Tip: Don't shoot over the fence. Find a suitable spot with a large enough gap to poke your lens through (easier with the small Olympus lens) and shoot from a lower viewpoint. That way you'll get a better background.

Zydeco_Joe
    18 Nov 2012 - 10:34 PM

mother-and-pup.jpgWent to Donna Nook last weekend, fence is a problem but you can still get good shots.

Campervanman
    26 Nov 2012 - 11:47 PM

Well I went last week and spent about two hours there. I had planned to make two visits but the weather put paid to that. The fence is actually a double fence with a couple of feet between so difficult to poke the lens through! There were a few places with gates onto the beach so only the single fence in that part so you could poke the lens through there (actually through the gate) but of course it depended if there were seals on the other side in that exact spot! I just kept the lens as low as possible over the fence/s.
    Quite a few pups came right up to the fence - too close to photograph. One of the wardens reckons they are attracted by the movement of the people. I took just over a hundred shots and I'm happy with most of them and especially so with around a dozen.
    It was very busy even on a weekday. The car park is far too small and I was lucky to get a space for for my 20ft long camper. I didn't fancy the grass overflow car park - I think the camper may have sunk!
    Thanks for all the advice and here's one my shots it's called Full Up. bd-05--donna-nook-seal.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.