Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Donna Nook

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nobby2sheds
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:23 PM

I'm off to Donna Nook to photograph the seals this weekend, any advice?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:24 PM

Quote: any advice

Wear thermals ;-0

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 26 Nov 2008 - 7:24 PM
    graceland
    graceland  92363 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:25 PM

Last time i went

1--- Poured with rain

2--- No seals !!

3--- Cold

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:27 PM

Wrap up warm and respect the animals, it's their environment.

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:30 PM

Last time I went they played loads of their hits; Sylvia's Mother, Sexy Eyes, When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman...

...last time I make my travel arrangements with deaf old Suziblue.

Smile

chase
    chase Critique Team 81104 forum postschase vcard England231 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 7:52 PM

Take a hot drink,plenty of thermals,several pairs of gloves & socks,a silly wooly hat & some waterproofs....a place not for the fainthearted !

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85742 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2008 - 9:04 PM

I can echo that Janet Smile

Lat December it must have been one of the coldest places on the British Isles

Ah well
    See what Horsey brings on the 13th Dec

Adrian

saladin1971
    27 Nov 2008 - 9:34 PM

echo the above comments.... lots of layers and waterproof trousers as well as jacket Smile and a really good warm hat is a must..... Smile

And wellies.... not walking boots.. its a long way out to the beach.... so be aware of the tide times...

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2008 - 9:42 PM

I can only echo all what has been said. Try to wrap up the camera with plastic bag if it is not weather sealed. Mine was wrapped up but I still had problems with the driving snow and sand - it get everywherem, as Cheryl points out respect the seals, and don't forget to appreciate the awesome sight, its easy to forget everything and just shoot everything. You will enjoy it..oh get there early if you want to get parked.

keithh
    keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2008 - 10:31 PM

and you'll need a brand new baking tray which you will have to steal off your missus under cover of darkness and then leave it someone elses car.....oh...and your coffees gone cold.
    Wink

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2008 - 11:42 PM

PMSL @ Keith - It cost me £5.39 to replace that flask from ASDA, oh well still a great day out.

Have you needed a jump start recently Keith Wink

cliff449
    cliff449  5 United Kingdom
    2 Dec 2008 - 11:13 AM

Re Donna Nook,

For anyone else all of the above apply, additionaly:

1. Check the tide tables
    2. Take a plastic bag to lie on, this will keep you dry and get better images by being nice and low (eye level with the seals).
    3. Watch and observe and just take it all in if you can

Cliff

samfurlong
    2 Dec 2008 - 12:54 PM

I just got back from a weekend shooting at Donna Nook.
    The pup numbers are at their peak right now and I was lucky enough to get some sunnny spells in between the cloud. Had a fair bit of fog but still got some nice atmospheric pics in that too!!

As has been said it's bleedin' cold so wrap up warm (i perfected my 'bank robber' look, had my coat and two jumpers on, then head to toe waterproofs & wellies so I could lie in the sand and not get covered without having to lug a tray or bin liner around.
    A backpack or waistbelt is handy to carry your stuff in (forget shoulder bags) and don't stress too much about taping up your gear and covering it in annoying plastic bags, at this time of year the sand is permanently wet so the sand doesn't blow around and if it rains then make sure you have something you can pull out of your bag and put over the camera.
    I found it very weird the amount of people using tripods there, apart from lugging a heavy tripod (and it needs to be fairly substantial to use with long lenses) over a mile over the sand to the sea edge, it's a right pain to use quicky. Fights between the males and couples mating happen very quickly and by the time you've moved a tripod you'll often have missed the action. Get a good monopod instead to take the weight off your arms and keep the ISO up (unless you are lucky enough to have a sunny day).

Check the tide tables and make sure you don't get cut off.
    Large parts of Donna Nook are like a flippin zoo with all the daytrippers and when you walk out to the sandbanks there can be hoards of other photographers which can be annoying when they get in the back of your shots but more annoying when they stray too close to the seals and change the behaviour that you are trying so hard to capture.

Do a bit a research and walking and you will be rewarded with a more lonely spot. I found a place with loads and loads of seals (more than the main colony by the fence) and NO people (I didn't see a single other photographer on Friday or Saturday)!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.