Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dot Tune

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
swiftflo
swiftflo  2 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2013 - 3:45 PM

JUst been trying to fine tune the AF with Dot Tune, not getting anywhere. According to the video explaning the procedure the green focusing dot is what to work on. No matter how I adjust the fine tuning either + or - from O nothing happens.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Apr 2013 - 3:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 Apr 2013 - 6:18 PM

A relative a weakness of Dot Tune of is that the link to a suggested autofocus target is to an autofocuses target most of which consists of detail which your camera instruction book cautions may cause poor focus accuracy Sad
That aside your camera instruction book says fine tune is not normally required, and using it may affect either infinity or minimum focus ability.
Have you any reason to believe your camera or lens is not working right when used in accordance with Nikon's guidance on how to get good results using autofocus?

swiftflo
swiftflo  2 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I read the camera instruction regarding fine tuning and only wanted to check the lens calibration out. I had no intention of altering anything. Dot Tune was free so I thought why not give it a try.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
13 Apr 2013 - 1:28 PM

Quote: only wanted to check the lens calibration out. I had no intention of altering anything. .

Not saying that you are guilty of it, but there seems to be a growing obsession with "checking things out", almost as if we expect things to be wrong with our cameras even if we have to hunt for the evidence..

My philosophy is that, unless I can see a problem in my photographs, my camera is working fine and I don't need to go looking for problems that don't affect me. I have never yet had to use the AF fine-tune on any of my Nikon cameras.

cheddar-caveman
17 Mar 2014 - 4:09 PM

Anybody got/tried the Reikan FoCal software? It's quite pricey considering that one only needs to use it once per camera body/lens.

LenShepherd
17 Mar 2014 - 5:15 PM

Quote: Anybody got/tried the Reikan FoCal software? It's quite pricey .

It also seems to be a target of which Nikon say in camera book instruction guidance on getting good results using autofocus "Autofocus does not perform well".
Why pay anything https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51633/kw/Fine%20Tune
In my experience it is extremely rare to see a complaint concerning an AF issue accompanied by a test image which confirms a fault.
Adding to Gundog's comment with a sensible AF target focus should be accurate (lens or body) straight out of the box and if it is not (very very rare based on over 2000 images I have looked at) in the UK you are entitled to an exchange or refund from a UK retailer.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 17 Mar 2014 - 5:20 PM
dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
17 Mar 2014 - 5:43 PM

Ive only ever known Canon users requiring this feature.

cheddar-caveman
17 Mar 2014 - 5:59 PM

Quote: Ive only ever known Canon users requiring this feature.

Obviously a Nikon user!Tongue

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73851 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2014 - 6:14 PM

Quote: Ive only ever known Canon users requiring this feature.

Nikon Auto Focus Adjustment !!!

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
17 Mar 2014 - 6:51 PM

Quote: Obviously a Nikon user!

Yes I chose to leave Canon Wink

Quote: Nikon Auto Focus Adjustment !!!

I cant say Ive heard of Nikon users complaining about lens calibration.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 17 Mar 2014 - 6:55 PM
cheddar-caveman
17 Mar 2014 - 7:03 PM

Must admit, I'm not aware I've got a problem, just thought it was worth checking but at 70 maybe not! I'm in the process of making a test jig from web printouts and I'll have a play with it.
I will need convincing that 70 is worth it but as I have just found out, it is camera specific, I'm rapidly losing interest!

LenShepherd
17 Mar 2014 - 10:20 PM

Quote:

I read the camera instruction regarding fine tuning and only wanted to check the lens calibration out.

Are you sure you read and understood the camera guidance which says
1/ Fine tune is not normally required
2/ Using it may affect infinity or minimum focus.
My experience is fine tune is only needed to "get out of gaol" if a lens or camera is damaged or defective until the camera or lens is repaired or replaced.
In my experience although quite a number say they have a focus issue it is extremely rare for anybody to post an image that confirms a focus issue.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73851 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2014 - 10:42 PM

With all the camera lenses I've had, I only had problem with one (severe back focusing) the focus adjust helped, I must say it was a third party lens (now most of my kit is Nikkor lenses).

LenShepherd
18 Mar 2014 - 11:20 PM

Quote: With all the camera lenses I've had, I only had problem with one (severe back focusing) the focus adjust helped, I must say it was a third party lens (now most of my kit is Nikkor lenses).

If you buy a lens (or body) in the UK from a UK retailer which has a severe fault it is "not fit for purpose" and you are entitled to your money back from the retailer.
If you bought mail order from a UK retailer you have about 6 working days to return it for a full refund - even if it has no fault and you just changed your mind and decided you did not want to keep it.

Nick_w
18 Mar 2014 - 11:27 PM

I know that Len, it was bought on a well known online auction site, so I went in with my eyes open. It was several years ago now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.