Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dovedale / Thorpe Cloud

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Sep 2008 - 2:07 PM

Hi

Am planning a visit to Dovedale on Sunday (weather permitting!!), Thorpe / Ilam end. I know that there is a car park at the start of the trail, but want to know if it is accessable at silly o'clock in the morning - ie is there a gate across out of hours? If it is shut off, anywhere else nearby that I could leave the car?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Sep 2008 - 2:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2008 - 2:38 PM

If you want to park at Thorpe there's a lay by at the top of the hill space for about five cars just past the toilet and entrance to the field. It's before you get to the main park that takes you alongside the river. You can park there, walk down to the toilet block and into the field Thorpe Cloud is then in front of you.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Nigeyboy
    24 Sep 2008 - 3:03 PM

Thanks Pete - I imagine it will still be pretty dark when I arrive, so don't want to be looking around for somewhere to abandon the car!!

User_Removed
    24 Sep 2008 - 3:59 PM

I'm not aware of any obstructions and I've been there at various o'clock.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022896 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2008 - 4:58 PM

At this time of year, stay high in Dovedale otherwise you'll be in the shade for a fair while.

I'd park up and head for the top of the Cloud.

Nigeyboy
    24 Sep 2008 - 7:44 PM

Keithh - that was my plan. catch the (fingers crossed!!) sunrise from The Cloud, and then get some pics down in the valley. Going up from Derby, so regardless of wheather the weather behaves, I will try and get something! Only get Sunday mornings to take my pics, what with work, kids etc!!

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022896 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Sep 2008 - 10:50 PM

The 'interesting side of the valley is on your right as you walk up.....there is always water close ups to keep you occupied on your way.

On your walk up you can earmark your shots and then on your way back down, the sun will have got into position to give you light on that side. Milldale is a good little spot to spend some time at the bridge and you can get a coffee from the little shop.

smitbar
    smitbar  6132 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Sep 2008 - 11:15 PM

Quote: Milldale is a good little spot to spend some time at

Beautiful recomendation! Saw my first Kingfisher there, as a boy.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.