Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Download section

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96216 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2013 - 9:51 PM

Quote: camera profiles and lens profiles are not the same.

Exactly my point, it appears you have created lens profiles.

Adobe do not have multiple camera profiles with different lenses.
BUT they do have multiple lens profiles for a particular camera.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2013 - 9:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2013 - 9:52 PM

Quote: Exactly my point, it appears you have created lens profiles

Wake up and open your eyes

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2013 - 10:01 PM

Quote: Adobe do not have multiple camera profiles with different lenses

Lol your quick Smile

GlennH
GlennH  91891 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2013 - 1:23 AM

It's a slightly flawed idea, Paul, but what the hell - I just uploaded a quirky collector's edition Sony DSC-R1 profile, since nobody else on the face of the planet is ever likely to profile that camera again. I know one or two people use them around here. The colour I got from the R1/Lightroom was infinitely better after I created that profile. Hasn't appeared yet - I guess it needs approval first.

Jeff, different camera profiles are created for different lenses to account for the variation in lens colour characteristics. Those characteristics probably shift negligibly between marque lenses, but when you have a motley collection of multi-branded optics it becomes a bit more critical. The lens profiles you're talking about correct for distortion and vignetting, but the colour effect is not measured (I've created one or two lens profiles, though it's a rigorous process that tests my 5-minute attention span).

Last Modified By GlennH at 16 Jun 2013 - 1:24 AM
Paul Morgan
16 Jun 2013 - 1:33 AM

What software did you use to build the profile.

I`m not even sure if the profiles upload work when there downloaded, they were fine when I uploaded them but I tested a few and each file shows 0 bytes, they should be at least 150kb.

There`s certainly no shortage of people wanting or offering profiles.

http://howgreenisyourgarden.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/using-lightroom-camera-prof...
http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/10519-has-anyone-made-a-lightroom-cam...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Jun 2013 - 1:37 AM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2013 - 8:54 AM

for those of us who are not technically minded could someone please explain:

what this is for?
why are there only 14/15 profiles for cameras I've never heard of Wink- or unlikely to use?
why would we want to download?
what are we uploading if we want to join in?

apologies if this was announced elsewhere....seem to have missed it Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 16 Jun 2013 - 8:55 AM
Paul Morgan
16 Jun 2013 - 3:58 PM

Profiles like pre-sets can be shared.

But unlike pre-sets, profiles only work with if you happen to be using the same camera body.

This is a typical example of the effects of applying a profile, some profiles can have quite a marked effect, others can be quite subtle, there often better than using the default profiles as supplied by Lightroom giving you a better base level to work from.

profile-comparison.jpg
GF2 + 14mm, note the changes to the reds and blues.

There is a whole lot of stuff about profiling on the web like this to give you some idea how it all works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5VvB32wVI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWJz8-pgEA

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Jun 2013 - 4:01 PM
GlennH
16 Jun 2013 - 4:53 PM

That difference in blues seems very common between Lightroom and ColorChecker Passport profiles. Here is someone else offering profilesóJay Kinghornóbut note he says you'll get better results making your own, which is sheer inevitability. I don't mind chucking a few profiles into the pot, but last night's effort seems to have disappeared into the ether (it was the right file type).

Paul Morgan
16 Jun 2013 - 5:01 PM

Yes I agree, nothing beats having your own, I`ve just shared a handfull that will improve daylight and flash somewhat, there better than the adobe standard profile and will give a better base level to work from.

Quote: but last night's effort seems to have disappeared into the ether (it was the right file type)

They will take a few days to show, but I`ve sent in a report, the files get minced during the download and will not work, the also show as 0 bytes of data Sad

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
17 Jun 2013 - 4:48 PM

Quote: So your trying to tell me no two 5D Mk111 sensors will be the same or deliver the same results :

Nope, I'm trying to tell you that even same-model cameras can vary in their output. Do you imagine Adobe don't use actual 5D MkIII bodies when creating profiles? They're providing you with a generic profile, you're rejecting it, and now you're providing someone else with a generic profile, which is what it becomes when it's not applied to your camera.

That's certainly how I see it.

Paul Morgan
17 Jun 2013 - 4:57 PM

My understanding is that although all sensors vary slightly, when fitted to a camera they are then calibrated to tight tolerances.

I guess some of you would rather run the Adobe default profiles in Lightroom, I don`t know about other camera`s but I know the single profile used for Panasonic and Olympus is pretty horrible.

GlennH
17 Jun 2013 - 5:16 PM

I think they can vary significantly, Paul, between manufacturing process batches, but at the same time I don't see great harm in what you're trying to do - it's just a different 'recipe' if you like, not entirely transferable but it might be preferable in some cases. One thing though is standard Adobe profiles are usually pretty 'safe' - they don't clip colours easily, whereas in my experience colours do teeter on the edge a little more with home-made profiles. I think that's by Adobe design, but could equally signify a need for me to refine my profile-making technique!

Without a shadow of doubt the colours from my own profiles are frequently more accurate, and though I don't usually need great accuracy there are times when I take a photo because of a specific hue. Often that's lost in the Adobe profile (that blue shift being a prime example).

Paul Morgan
17 Jun 2013 - 5:36 PM

Generally the main times I use profiles is at a wedding or shooting portraits, these are generally the times when I need a more consistent base level to work from.

Quote: whereas in my experience colours do teeter on the edge a little more with home-made profiles. I think that's by Adobe design, but could equally signify a need for me to refine my profile-making technique!

Care is needed, I first set a custom WB then photograph the target taking care not to clip the highlights or shadows, exposer needs to be spot on, its pretty fool proof using the xrite software, if you did happen to clip something, the software will flag a warning and not let you proceed.

A lot of people complain that working from Raws with Olympus Cameras there well loved colours are lost, profiling comes very close to getting these colours back.

The profiles I have shared are just good generic profiles like I said, it would be pretty pointless sharing some of my others Smile

wed.jpg

Paul Morgan
19 Jun 2013 - 6:12 PM

The profiles are back up for download now the bug has been fixed, I`ve also added profiles for the GF2.

They can be found here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/downloads/lightroom-camera-profiles-448/p-0

GlennH
19 Jun 2013 - 6:57 PM

My modest offering is still AWOL. It'd be interesting to see feedback on whether these actually improve matters for anyone or not, even though 'improvement' might be a little subjective.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.