Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dress up for the occasion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kodachrome
    14 Sep 2012 - 4:34 PM

Hi all

I hope this doesn't happen to you.

I along with my wife attended a model air show last Sunday at Old Warden Bedfordshire with my Nikon D5100, This is about 50 miles from where I live. I wondered round the various tade stands and took many pictures on the flight line. Then it was a long treck across thye airfield to the nearest toilets. By early after noon temperatures has risen to 29 C and I was baking hot. My bush hat had not really stopped my head from getting over hot. I was drinking loads of water but by mid after noon we decided to throw the towel in and go home. By this time I was beginning to feel pretty rough.

I don't even remember the drive home as I felt like s--t. The day after all these symptoms appeared

I fely disorientated, dizzy, head ache, nauseus, lost my appetite, hot and cold flushed, and wanted to sleep all the time.
    By Teusday after my wife nagged me to get down the Doctors where after a few tests Doc said, you have quite bad sun stroke [don't confuse this with sun burn]. I'm confined at home with no more sun exposure and orders to drink our local reservior dry.

Its only been now that I have been abvle to write and post this, Any body with similar experiences

Kodachrome

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Sep 2012 - 4:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  31075 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Sep 2012 - 5:16 PM

I live in Tenerife, and if you think 29C is bad, you ought to have been out here over the summer. Temperatures going into the 40's some days. This week is cooler, 34C. When I take clients out on photo shoots, I always make sure they have applied sun screen to their exposed parts of their bodies. Wear a wide brimmed hat, preferably white to reflect the sun. You cannot be too careful when you go out into the sun, especially when it's hot. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is one of the biggest problems, which can lead to what you have experienced. It's not a very enjoyable feeling and can take a long time to get over, so you need plenty of rest, drink plenty of water with re-hydration sachets/tablets.

Hope you soon get back on your feet and well enough to go out and enjoy your photography once again.
    Stephen

catgirl73
    catgirl73  6142 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Sep 2012 - 5:58 PM

Being of August I was doing a charity bike ride in Ireland, we started Saturday afternoon we had a clear blue sky and the sun wasn't too hot. Anyway we cycled 35 miles had afternoon the follow day I had all of the above symptoms. It ruined my whole ride on the Sunday and spent the whole day in bed.

Sunstroke really is horrible.

scottishphototours

Quote: I live in Tenerife, and if you think 29C is bad, you ought to have been out here over the summer. Temperatures going into the 40's some days. This week is cooler, 34C.

Stephen, tell me next week will be the same PLEASE - I'm headed your way next week GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

BTW, got sunstroke on a beach in St. Andrews doing a wedding shoot - not recommended.... Sad

nikonphotographer
    14 Sep 2012 - 10:44 PM

Some years ago (Early 1990's) I was in the Midwest of America, and hadn't been feeling well for a while, then I fell to the ground in the State fairgrounds and passed out, I woke up in hospital, apparently I was so dehydrated that most of my internal organs had started to shut down, I was on a IV drip (Don't know what was in it) and also packed in ice .... after I was released from hospital and told to rest and drink plenty and keep out of the sun, I was told from when I was put into the ambulance I only had around 6 minutes to live until they put me on the IV and pack me in ice, since then I have been prone to it, I was again taken ill in Tenerife back in 2003, but wasn't as bad as the U.S trip, as I knew the symptoms before they got out of hand ... now when I travel oversea's I always carry a bottle of water with me, keep my head covered and try not to spend too much time in the sun ....

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110305 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Sep 2012 - 11:07 PM

The first time I worked out in Qatar I had something similar.

The temperature out there is 40+C during the day and the humidity up in the 80%+ and its easy to lose 6 pints or more of water as perspiration during a few hours (we were working in large storeage tanks where the temperature was quite unbelievable at times, like an oven)

Kept covered, drank loads of water, still passed out back in the base camp office but in this case it was salt deficiency. I discovered that the expats put salt on and in everything and always carried salt tabets along with their water bottles, so soon acquired the same habits. (the quick way to check was to lick your skin - if it didn't have a saline taste it was time for some more salt!)

My wife thought I was mad when I got home and was seen taking the top of the salt cellar to get a good dollop of salt in my beer, on my sandwiches etc.

You have my complete sympathy, I don't think I have ever felt so ill and sure that I was going to die as I did then.

Last Modified By brian1208 at 14 Sep 2012 - 11:09 PM
    pablophotographer

Yep, you had a sun-stroke. Liquids like water are not a salvation, you respire or urinate it. Eat cucumber with a pinch of salt, watermelon, oranges. Get your liquids, but make them stay long inside your body as you digest. Stay in, away from the sun until you recover.

kodachrome
    15 Sep 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks every one for your stories about sunstroke. My Doctor said it can creep up on you with out you realising. Being very fair skinned and in my retirement were two small factors against me.
    I had all parts covered but my body just over heated, there was no shade on the airfield unless you stood inside a dealers tent.

A couple more symptoms I forgot to mention, was my scalp became very tender to touch and still is, Not sore just tender. My vision had changed as everything thing looked to be in higher contrast than it should be. Coffee tasted crap as did food. All of my 5 senses seemed to be affected.

My doctor said this may have been due to a slight swelling of the brain and it should all settle back to normal in time. He also said I should have gone straight to A+E.

When your out with the camera look after yourself, where the right gear and have plenty of the right type of liquid, beer is a big no no, so wait till you get back home or back to the hotel for that.
    I knew about the salt and cucumber, salt loss is the big problem with dehydration and I remember my dad saying they were given salt tablets when he was stationed in the far East.

I might try a sun shade next time i'm out on a field frip.

Koda,

wildworlds
    16 Sep 2012 - 12:59 PM

Glad to hear that you have no long term effects from your sunstroke, it can be very unpleasant. This is why we provide water in the vehicles when we go out and use a canvas shade, so that no one is constantly stuck out in the sun. I always advise people to drink little and often before they start to feel thirsty. Itís a lot harder to become dehydrated then. And don't forget a hat! Wink

G

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.