Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Driving in America

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 8:42 PM

Hi folks

Can anyone provide advice or tips on driving in America, specifically Arizona.

I'm looking for general advice, highway code tips, stuff to make a trip safer and easier.

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2010 - 8:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
25 Jan 2010 - 8:43 PM

Keep to the right Smile

Anthony
25 Jan 2010 - 8:46 PM

righto... thanks Barrie, I'll make sure I remember that one. ha ha

I take some claims for a rental car company, and the number of claims where someone has come out a hotel and gone straight to the wrong side of the road, forgetting they are in a foreign country, you wouldnt believe. They usually happen within just a mile or 2 of the hotel, lol

Cheers for the invaluable input mate. Smile

Anthony

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 8:48 PM

Importantly - DO NOT DRIVE OVER THE SPEED LIMIT!!! You may get away with it in England, but my goodness, in America, if you go so much as 1 mph above their limit on the highways, the police squad will begin pursiuting you. My Dad nearly got arrested for doing 72mph on a 65mph road! They said:

"Man, do you wanna go to jail - or do you want a warning?", they are quite harsh. If you speed too much, you actually have to go to jail there, so just watch yourself on that. The arozinians are particularly tight on their rules, so just be careful.

Jonah

Anthony
25 Jan 2010 - 8:51 PM

cheers Jonah, a valid point. Im usually pretty good with speed, and stick to it quite rigidly. Noted though, so thank you.

Anthony

User_Removed
25 Jan 2010 - 8:53 PM

We've driven in the US many times including LA, San Francisco and Miami and as a rule (always exceptions of course) we've found the drivers to be much more courteous than those in the UK.

One thing I do like is being able to "turn right on red" at many traffic signals. It's not all so watch out for the signs but it does help keep traffic flowing.

Do watch out for the heat differential between an air conditioned car and outside (depending when you were going). A lady in my hotel in Palm Springs fractured her spine when she collapsed after getting out of her 70 deg F car into 120 deg F air.

Be also aware of driving for a long time with the air con on. Driving across Death Valley, we stopped after a couple of hours to have a look around and when we got back in, the car wouldn't start. a Park Ranger found us and had to call in the AAA by air..and all it turned out to be was a thermal cut out caused by driving for too long with the AC on - so embarrassing Smile

Picking up on Jonah's point.. the speed limit in many places is still 55 max!

Oh and if you get caught short and want a pee, don't do as I did and stand behind a bush with nothing on your feet 4 ft from a Rattler!!!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Jan 2010 - 8:55 PM
Anthony
25 Jan 2010 - 8:57 PM

thank you Barrie, I agree the turn right on red is good, thanks for telling me its not at all junctions. Did'nt know that.

Air con, yup, will keep an eye on that too, thanks.

Quote: Oh and if you get caught short and want a pee, don't do as I did and stand behind a bush with nothing on your feet 4 ft from a Rattler!!!

I bet thts not the first time that happened, lol

Anthony

Last Modified By Anthony at 25 Jan 2010 - 8:58 PM
elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 - 9:00 PM

Not driven in the US but been a passenger in Mississippi. Many drivers were fine but the truck drivers did not seem to care much about speeding. Passed by on a number of roads by big, big trucks at speeds exceeding 80mph.

Also many drivers keep a gun in the car. Road rage best avoided.

Anthony
25 Jan 2010 - 9:02 PM

cheers Eric, forgot about guns, best be on my best behaviour then eh? Smile

Anthony

cmawson
cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 - 9:15 PM

For driving in Arizona, check this sites out:

link

And yes, speed limits are enforced heavily over here, even as little as 15 mph over the limit can lead to a 'reckless driving' ticket being given. I found that out to my cost recently.

Also visit the Arizona state tourist dept website.

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
25 Jan 2010 - 9:20 PM

Driven in Miami, found the interstates are permanently busy. Be aware that exits from the interstate can be to the left as well as the right. It can catch you out sometimes.

Make use of a good sat nav and read the signs and you should be fine......................but expect to get a lot of "RECALCULATING" from the Sat Nav lady tho Wink

Paul

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
25 Jan 2010 - 9:24 PM

Agree with Barrie - look out for the 'turn right on a red' sign. Excellent idea and I don't know why we can't have the same over here (except of course it would be 'turn left on a red)'. I loved driving in the US; as mentioned previously the drivers didn't seem as manic (even in Los Angeles !) as here.

The other thing to watch for are the 'stop' signs at some junctions (where each approach has its own 'stop' sign). Took me a while to work them out but basically the first to arrive has priority.

And parking on the street! Make sure you park facing the right way (i.e on the right, passenger door to the kerb).

One thing I couldn't work out - are you supposed to give way to traffic joining the motorway/interstate? Got hooted at several times because I couldn't give way to trafic joining because ot the traffic in the outer lane.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
25 Jan 2010 - 9:28 PM

Quote: Be aware that exits from the interstate can be to the left as well as the right. It can catch you out sometimes.

LOL!! Forgot that one. Must admit I missed an exit like that. Doesn't seem right somehow but then they don't have fast/overtaking lanes so I don't suppose it makes much difference.

Anthony
25 Jan 2010 - 9:31 PM

cheers guys, some good info there, thank you.

Anthony

geosami
geosami  6 Scotland
25 Jan 2010 - 9:48 PM

jeez
im glad your driving while we are there darlin he he soz
mary

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.