Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Driving Instructer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    julesm
    julesm e2 Member 101698 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:15 PM

If I became a driving instructor, what sort of earnings would I be likely to achieve? RED say I could earn upto 30, but Im guessing I'd have to do an awfull lot of work to get that?
    Any instructors out there willing to share their experience?

Regards
    Julian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:16 PM

30 pounds per year isn't a lot you know Wink

julesm
    julesm e2 Member 101698 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:21 PM

Lol I meant 30k Smile

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:27 PM

lol

I bet it's a nightmare finding the work - for the first few years at least. If you've got a 17 year old kid, that'd be perfect, you could get all their friends to use you.

Otherwise... I'm not sure how it all works really.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:31 PM

Some years ago a friend of my father's bought a failing driving school - its owner had been in poor health and the clientele had fallen away. But it least it gave him a few pupils to start with and he expanded it into a successful business. and eventually sold up and retired on the proceeds.

Could be a possibility although you will need some capital or a loan.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:35 PM

I used to be a Grade 5 Driving Instructor both Car & HGV and whilst the potential is there to earn in excess of 30K, I warn you now, you will have to earn all the hours God sent to achieve it!! When I was doing it about 10-11 years ago the most I earned in any year was 26K and that included the tuition I gave on Trucks, which paid a lot more obviously. Admittedly I wouldn't work the weekends and only worked up to 7pm in the evenings, but it's hard graft and you need nerves of steel.

RED or BSM are both reasonable companies to train with, although I'd recommend BSM as that's who I trained with years ago back in the late 90's, but more importantly as I remember they don't want any money up front, something I believe RED & the AA do?

You can make a reasonable living from it, more so if you're freelance and work for yourself, but you're not going get rich quick!!!

Ade

kodachrome
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:49 PM

Red, were exposed on a Watch dog program for grossly exagerating your possible earnings per anum and several other contentious issues which I won't go into. I guess you could earn what they say is a possibility, but it could drive you into an early grave. Be carefull with these franchise companies and read the small print. They are out to make money no matter how enticing the deal may look to you.

Self employed free lance is a better bet.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:58 PM

Quote: Self employed free lance is a better bet.

Without a doubt, but you do have to train first up to a standard set by the DSA, the only way to do this as far as I'm aware having not been in the business for a while is to work with a DSA accredited training company such as BSM/RED/AA etc.

Ade

julesm
    1 Oct 2012 - 3:23 PM

Many thanks both. Lots of things to think about, and lots of good pointers. I'm really just exploring ideas as my dream of becoming a social photographer seem to be evapourating and Im sick and tired of being a Business Analyst for a rubbish company.

What about Fourth Bridge painters or Lumberjacking in Canada? Only joking Smile

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    1 Oct 2012 - 3:57 PM

Quote: ... What about Fourth Bridge painters ...

Well, that's another dead-end for you.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 4:07 PM

Forth Bridge painting used to be a job for life. Unfortunately, with the recent introduction of (very) longlasting paints, it isn't any nore! Sad

Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.