Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Drop shadows

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Brenty
    Brenty  7 United Kingdom
    1 Oct 2009 - 12:48 PM

I noticed in the Gallery that a number of people display their pictures with a drop shadow. This gives the impression that the picture is slighly raised off its background.

Can anyone tell me how to do it for my pictures, please.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Oct 2009 - 12:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 12:51 PM

Could I suggest that you let people know what software you're using? ie. Elements or Paint Shop Pro or Gimp or whatever?

It makes it easier to help Smile Sadly I'm off out on my lunchbreak now before I go nuts so can't help right now.....

Al

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 12:52 PM

In Photoshop it is part of the layer properties. You need to make your canvas size slightly larger than your image size, to allow room, then double click on the layer and tick the drop shadow option.

There are lots of ways you can vary the shadow, the best way is to play around.

If you don't have PS I can't help sorry.

Ian

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 1:59 PM

If it's PSP then there's a choice of goodies under Effects - 3D effects....

Brenty
    Brenty  7 United Kingdom
    1 Oct 2009 - 3:49 PM

Sorry. I am using Elements 5.

I will have a go with your suggestion Ian. Many thanks.

Stewy
    Stewy e2 Member 7101 forum postsStewy vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 4:22 PM

In Elements 5, in Editor, open up "Artwork & Effects" in the pallette bin, third icon along, "Special Effects", there are two drop down boxes.

In the left one click on layer styles, in the right one click drop shadows.

Apply the one you want and a little "sunflower" will appear on the layer detail.

If you double click on this, you can tailor the effect to suit.

As Ian said above, you will need to increase the canvas size to see the effect.

HTH.

Martyn

simont
    simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 4:27 PM

You may also wnt to add the drop shadow effect to the image before you resize it otherwise, it will increase the image size to cater for the extra border.

Simon

digicammad
    1 Oct 2009 - 4:36 PM

Quote: You may also wnt to add the drop shadow effect to the image before you resize it otherwise, it will increase the image size to cater for the extra border.

That doesn't sound right. Increasing the canvas size doesn't touch the image size. The drop shadow goes into the gap between image edge and canvas edge.

If you change the image size after adding the drop shadow it does not change the drop shadow properties, unless you have flattened everything, which effectively builds the drop shadow into the image (I think). Not at my home PC so can't test it out.

simont
    simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2009 - 4:55 PM

Ian,

What I was trying to say was that, if you have resized your image to 600x600 for submission here and you then added a drop shadow effect, or resize the canvas, you image will now be 610+x610+ which is outside the upload size for this site. Therefore add any effect, which may alter the size, and then resize the image.

I know when I tried adding something like a drop shadow, via Elements 3, to a 600x600 image the number of pixels was increase to cater for the extra border.
    Having said that, that may be a feature of the Frames within Elements 3 and not Layer Styles where you select the area first I think.
    Simon

Last Modified By simont at 1 Oct 2009 - 5:00 PM
    digicammad
    1 Oct 2009 - 7:14 PM

Ah right, got you. Yes you need to add your drop shadow before resizing for here. Smile

Brenty
    Brenty  7 United Kingdom
    2 Oct 2009 - 10:12 PM

Many thanks for your helpful comments I will have a go this weekend.

Brenty
    Brenty  7 United Kingdom
    2 Oct 2009 - 10:37 PM

Just had a go and after a few mistakes got the hang of it. AS you say I need to play around to get it perfect but at least I now know what to do.

Many many thanks for all your help and guidance.

Can't wait to use the effect

digicammad
    2 Oct 2009 - 10:47 PM

No problem, glad you worked it out. While you are in there you may want to play around with the other layer properties. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.