Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dropping the edit

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121011 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    19 Mar 2012 - 6:40 AM

do you ever upload as taken with no edit apart from resize or do you feel the digital image needs a bit of work out of camera [shooting raw]

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Mar 2012 - 6:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64377 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Mar 2012 - 6:55 AM

I've uploaded jpgs with no editing except resizing. Why do you ask?

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121011 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    19 Mar 2012 - 7:10 AM

just thought i might try it as i am usually criticized for ott edits[ always think out of camera image is too clean but i could be wrong]

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Mar 2012 - 7:15 AM

Can you please stop using capitals when you start a forum thread.

Jestertheclown
    19 Mar 2012 - 9:10 AM

As Chris says, Jpegs. should be OK and I've taken some RAWs that would work as well with no more than conversion and re-sizing but that's not usually the case.

As for your being criticized for your OTT editing; I've never seen a complaint about it and I look at all of your stuff.
    I'd always reckoned that it was just your style.

User_Removed
    19 Mar 2012 - 9:46 AM

Horses for courses.

I had a look at your photograph taken from the Grassmarket looking up Victoria Street and liked it. Sure, some might say that it was grossly overprocessed but, as Jester says, it is your style and, for this image, I think it works.

But the answer to your question is that shooting in Jpeg should apply the settings of your camera and no further editing should be necessary (unless there has been an error or you want to apply a style) but with Raw files, you are going to get a generally flat image that will usually need a little sharpening and maybe a touch of saturation to get it to what you saw with your eye when you pressed the shutter release.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64377 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Mar 2012 - 10:14 AM

Ah, I missed the bit about RAW. You usually need some slight adjustments as Jester says, but you'd have to convert to jpgs anyway to upload onto a site.

monkeygrip
    19 Mar 2012 - 11:47 AM

If you shoot in jpeg you are actually letting the camera decide to edit the shot for you.

The process of turning light (wave) into a digital signal (zeros and ones) does not fully capture all of the original data available even with the most advanced electronics. Sensible editing helps replace lost data. (I am not referring to under exposed or blown out data loss here)

Sometimes the loss of information is not visible to the naked eye so you can produce images with little or no editing required I would say that most digital images require editing of some description. I am sure there are many exceptional examples on this site alone that have come straight from the camera.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2012 - 12:48 PM

I shoot Raw & JPG for each shot - and it used to be my personal challenge to make the processed raw better than the in camera jpg.
    So yes i'd often upload the out of camera shot as its often really quite good with its standard picture styles anyway.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.