Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Dry Mounting using a domestic iron.

canonfan46 e2
5 1.1k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2012 7:37PM
I have since tried dry mounting using an iron and it is a definate no-no.

Impossible to keep bubbles out of an A3 print. So thats that thenSad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Britman e2
8 1.7k England
13 Dec 2012 7:40PM
after i read this thread I priced up mounting pictures on foamboard, and to be honest it's cheap enough, like 9 for a 18" x 12" on 5mm board.
CP140 e2
2 7 Canada
16 Dec 2012 7:55AM
I freely admit this isn't my area of knowledge... but the RC airplane modelling community use some very small "irons" for attaching and shrinking the covering material used on the balsa/plywood airframes. Being smaller and easier to manipulate, they might be helpful doing this sort of thing...

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=COV2750

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=COV6500

Edit:Coreect typing mistrakes
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2012 9:39AM
If you intend to do this a lot, ie wedding albums etc, then but a proprietary press instead of using an iron. You would spray or I remember finding a white paste which I could paint on with a brush and leave to dry in exactly the same way as with the spray only it is more accurate. the biggest nuisance yiou will find is 'overspray' which may find its way onto the picture side by mistake. Now if you attempt to stick when this occurs you will melt the glue and make a nice mess. I had some special paper (sorry it is too long ago now to remember the name of it) which could be placed over the picture before it was inserted into the press and the glue would not stick to this which avoided the mess.

These presses usually have a heated base (rheostat controlled for temperature) and the top plate is lowered onto the print/page with a large screw thread and fastened tightly for a short while. The photograph paper and the album pages have differing thicknesses and coefficients of expansion and so curling can occur due to the different expansion rates. Therefiore you need to use some trial and error tests to establish the amount of pressure to use and the time and temperature necessary to do the job well.

An iron is similar but it is far more difficult to ensure that time, pressure and temperature are constant. The big downer is that if some glue inadvertantly gets on to the iron surface then your wife does some ironing you will be in the dog house for ages.

The glue I used originally was called 'Thermal print mountant' but I also used 3Ms spray before settling on the painted glue. I would apply thye glue to maybe 6 pages and allow to dry before sticking them together in my press. After three I would paint maybe 3 or 4 more to ensure that the last of the previous batch were properly dry and ready for mounting before proceeding. You soon get into a productuion run technique but being 72 yrs of age and naturally out of touch, I presumed that these days people used these Photo Books for wedding albums. Am I wrong?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.