Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

dSLR -- which one to choose?

Toonman e2
7 1.4k 2 England
23 May 2011 10:01AM
Hi. The Nikon D3100 is in my opinion the one to go for. It has the latest technology and build quality is on par with the D5000. Things move fast in the Camera world, the D3100 has a better spec' than most high end Dslr's of a couple of years ago and is a great first choice. I have had a number of different models, my latest is a Panasonic GF1 but I have had two level entry Nikons and I loved them. Either model would be a good choice although you may wish to look at the D5100 if money allows as it has a number of advantages over the D5000.

Adam

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AntonS e2
3 10 United Kingdom
23 May 2011 12:29PM
I'm sure you'll be happy with either....

I got the D5000 with the 18-55mm VR & the 55-200mm VR lenses for just 499 from Jessops.....a bargain if you ask me!

Good luck!
jondf e2
8 2.7k
25 May 2011 3:07PM

Quote:Things move fast in the Camera world....

Indeed they do but one thing always remains the same.....the ability of the snapper lurking behind the lens.

You might be as well getting a nice second-hand dslr - a Canon 30D for example - with a decent piece of glass in front of it.
timiano e2
10 894 United Kingdom
25 May 2011 4:49PM
The new Panasonic G3 Tongue Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 May 2011 7:38PM

Quote:On the down-side, it is bigger, heavier

As above or any other from M4/3 or Sony Nex.
davewaine e2
7 115 3 England
30 May 2011 8:33AM
Try both out and pick the one you like best (assuming you can afford either). The D3100 has a higher pixel density, but I doubt whether you would see much (if any) difference in real terms. As both cameras have accurate shutters and accept the same range of lenses, each is as capable of quality results as the other. The defining factor will be you and your ability to envisage and execute a good photograph. Check instead how the camera feels in your hands and whether the controls are placed where you would like them to be. The D5000 has a flip-out LCD screen, which is a godsend if you use the camera close to the ground and it becomes difficult to see through the eyepiece, but can be a waste of money otherwise.

Dave
I agree that D5000 is a better one for advanced level users regardless it is heavier.
Also it is worth to have a professional DSLR with AUD$530Tongue
http://www.t-dimension.com/revamp/dslr-c-16/nikon-d5000-body-dslr-p-409
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 May 2011 8:56PM
You are not going to go wrong with either. The D5000 is, of course, an old obsolete model - but it is still as good as it was before it was trumped. The D3100 is the latest model at that level.

Now, don't take this the wrong way - but if you have to ask the question, then the entry level is the right one for you just now. Sure, in 2 or 3 years you might be spending 6000 on whatever has superseded the D3x but you will have learned a huge amount in the meantime and, apart from DX lenses, anything you have added to your D3100 outfit will still be usable when you upgrade.

I'd go for the D3100 now and upgrade, gradually, as your interest progresses. If you really want to buy an obsolete model, then forget the D5000 and think about a s/h D300.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.