Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

dSLR -- which one to choose?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hi. The Nikon D3100 is in my opinion the one to go for. It has the latest technology and build quality is on par with the D5000. Things move fast in the Camera world, the D3100 has a better spec' than most high end Dslr's of a couple of years ago and is a great first choice. I have had a number of different models, my latest is a Panasonic GF1 but I have had two level entry Nikons and I loved them. Either model would be a good choice although you may wish to look at the D5100 if money allows as it has a number of advantages over the D5000.

Adam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AntonS
    AntonS  3 United Kingdom
    23 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm sure you'll be happy with either....

I got the D5000 with the 18-55mm VR & the 55-200mm VR lenses for just 499 from Jessops.....a bargain if you ask me!

Good luck!

Last Modified By AntonS at 23 May 2011 - 12:29 PM
    jondf
    jondf  72474 forum posts
    25 May 2011 - 3:07 PM

Quote: Things move fast in the Camera world....

Indeed they do but one thing always remains the same.....the ability of the snapper lurking behind the lens.

You might be as well getting a nice second-hand dslr - a Canon 30D for example - with a decent piece of glass in front of it.

timiano
    timiano  10894 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 May 2011 - 4:49 PM

The new Panasonic G3 Tongue Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 May 2011 - 7:38 PM

Quote: On the down-side, it is bigger, heavier

As above or any other from M4/3 or Sony Nex.

davewaine
    davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 8:33 AM

Try both out and pick the one you like best (assuming you can afford either). The D3100 has a higher pixel density, but I doubt whether you would see much (if any) difference in real terms. As both cameras have accurate shutters and accept the same range of lenses, each is as capable of quality results as the other. The defining factor will be you and your ability to envisage and execute a good photograph. Check instead how the camera feels in your hands and whether the controls are placed where you would like them to be. The D5000 has a flip-out LCD screen, which is a godsend if you use the camera close to the ground and it becomes difficult to see through the eyepiece, but can be a waste of money otherwise.

Dave

portsmouthman
    30 May 2011 - 6:18 PM

I agree that D5000 is a better one for advanced level users regardless it is heavier.
    Also it is worth to have a professional DSLR with AUD$530Tongue
    http://www.t-dimension.com/revamp/dslr-c-16/nikon-d5000-body-dslr-p-409

Last Modified By portsmouthman at 30 May 2011 - 6:19 PM
    User_Removed
    30 May 2011 - 8:56 PM

You are not going to go wrong with either. The D5000 is, of course, an old obsolete model - but it is still as good as it was before it was trumped. The D3100 is the latest model at that level.

Now, don't take this the wrong way - but if you have to ask the question, then the entry level is the right one for you just now. Sure, in 2 or 3 years you might be spending 6000 on whatever has superseded the D3x but you will have learned a huge amount in the meantime and, apart from DX lenses, anything you have added to your D3100 outfit will still be usable when you upgrade.

I'd go for the D3100 now and upgrade, gradually, as your interest progresses. If you really want to buy an obsolete model, then forget the D5000 and think about a s/h D300.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 May 2011 - 8:56 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.