Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DSLR camera batteries

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    1 Oct 2012 - 5:41 PM

I'm currently after a couple of spare batteries for my 600D and I've seen quite a few unofficial ones on eBay for fairly cheap. Is there a massive difference between the unofficial ones and the official Canon ones?
    Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Oct 2012 - 5:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:00 PM

There's some good third party batties, but also some poor ones. Beware not to go too cheap and look for a good write up on batteries.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:02 PM

I'm guessing the poorer ones don't last very long?
    Jordan

franken
    franken e2 Member 113029 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:30 PM

Amazon do them and here's a link. Looking at the reviews is recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobiles%C2%AE-Battery-LP-E8-Canon-Rebel/dp/B005Q5HSHC/re...

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91030 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:31 PM

I've used Hama ones in my Nikon D300 without any issues and life seems to be similar to the original Nikon one. That said, many will trot out the line about paying hundreds or thousands for a camera and then skimping on batteries. I guess there is a risk from no-name brands that they may damage the camera.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice.
    Jordan

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 7:03 PM

Quote: then skimping on batteries

LOL Grin Well there is that for sure, But beware that some 3rd party options may damage your camera, Its your choice and Canon and other makers will not offer warranty claims, If they suspect damage has been caused by using 3rd party batteries....!!!!!!!!!

That said, This lot have a good reputation for their 3rd party products, So it might be worth a try, Again your choice.

Good luck...Wink

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    1 Oct 2012 - 7:17 PM

I'll probably stick to the Canon ones. As they say it's better to be safe than sorry!

siduck68
    siduck68  2 United Kingdom
    2 Oct 2012 - 9:29 AM

I bought a third party battery and I found it half the price Canon and it performs better than the Canon battery.

Kako
    Kako  8136 forum posts
    2 Oct 2012 - 9:41 AM

There are only a few factories globally producing these batteries, so in many cases the OEM battery will be produced on the same site and maybe even on the same line as non OEM. As in most things in life you normally pay a premium for the 'designer' name. I personally would always buy a reputable 'compatible' at 50-75% of the cost of the original and save the 'designer' premium. Each to their own though.

redhed17
    redhed17  8635 forum posts England
    2 Oct 2012 - 11:24 AM

I've had a couple of compatible batteries that didn't work, and many that have for different cameras. Normally the price is a few ús compared to tens of ús, so it is worth taking the risk.

thewilliam
    2 Oct 2012 - 1:21 PM

If you choose a reputable make from a reputable supplier then you should be OK.

Branded batteries can be fakes, so be careful when buying from eBay.

Back in the good old days, we used to get batteries for our Hasselblad ELM from the local Varta distributor. Exactly the same item as the Hasselblad product, which came from the same factory in Somerset, but one sixth of the price.

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7116 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have used 7 dayshop batteries in two DSLR's for years and never a problem, they work just as good as Canons own

DerekL
    DerekL e2 Member 9100 forum postsDerekL vcard England22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:51 PM

Agree with Mike Smith. 7 dayshop batteries are good quality. Normally higher capacity for far less money than "Canon". Well recommended.

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:57 PM

I have a 7D and bought a spare from Duracell Direct and havent had any issues with it at all.

Duracell Direct 600d Battery

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.