Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

DSLR Canon 450D

Hi
I am a new out here but have had this Canon450D for the past 8 months and this summer got an opportunity to really use it in Cornwall and Dorset . I am not fatastically good but have been trying through trial and error.I have had some good pics in good light but have also had some horrible underexposed dark ones on cloudy days and dim light. I also want to buy another lens ..maybe a wideangle ..I have the standard 18-55 mm which came with it . What are some of the recommended lens for a beginner ? Also I do want to improve in taking some good pics....Will investing in Photoshop help...I am so tempted..I have about 600 ..sd it be lens or photoshop ?please help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

eric6 e2
6 21 Greece
28 Aug 2009 3:55PM
Hi,
I have most of the canon range (not bragging) my advice is that you have a good quality camera thats able to take great images.
Buy photoshop Elements 6 or 7 for around 60 and spend the rest on a quality lens. Depending what images you want to take, wide angle/macro or telephoto. Don't forget there are some good second hand lens's out there. Go for the glass.
Eric
User_Removed 5 718 9 England
28 Aug 2009 4:31PM
If landscape is your thing, and yu are dead set on a wide angle lens, why not opt for the Tamron AF10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II

35mm equivalent is 16-37mm, so its quite a decent lens in that respect but a tad slow, not as fast as other lenses, however with landscape work this does not matter so much i guess.

The lens itself retails for around 370, can pick them up cheaper if you shop around. Still, not a bad price for the focal length.

Definately worth looking at i feel.

Alison H

Quote:Hi,
I have most of the canon range (not bragging) my advice is that you have a good quality camera thats able to take great images.
Buy photoshop Elements 6 or 7 for around 60 and spend the rest on a quality lens. Depending what images you want to take, wide angle/macro or telephoto. Don't forget there are some good second hand lens's out there. Go for the glass.
Eric

Thanks ...Any difference between photoshop elements and adobe photoshop. So you think I should not go for a lens now.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2009 8:30PM
If you want to buy Elements have a look here at Dabs . Its a good buy at 45 for Version 7. Also if you are in Education you might qualify for a Student edition of CS4. Best check the Adobe web site for terms and conditions. Expect to pay @ 150

Elements is a cut down version of photoshop aimed at photographers. You can do a lot with it, and it has some user friendly features if you are new to it all. Plus when you get up to speed you will find plug-ins that enable some more advanced features like layer masks....

The GIMP is free, and fits in between Elements and Full Photoshop in terms of features. Also Paint Shop Pro fits in at about the same level of ability.

So I would think about either a free editor or Elements. You can always download the trial and give it a go for a few days.

As for lenses it depends what you want to do next. I am guessing you are on a budget so looking for good value for money. I can think of two budget lenses to think on.

First up Canons 50mm f1.8. It is low cost, and no zoom and looks like it is made of lowest quality plastic. But it is optically very good, from f2.8 onwards stunningly sharp and it lets you try low light or low depth of field photography. Also for portraits it is good. A good lens to learn a lot of photography on.

Another good budget choice is the sigma 70-300 APO MKII. It lets you have a go at wildlife and possibly sports if you are keen. You can use it to isolate subjects for landscapes, and it has a handy macro feature so if you fancy photographing insects or close up's of flowers etc it will get you started.

Now both of those could be yours for under 200. @ 250 including elements.

The top sigma lenses have an EX in them, and the top canons an L. If you want better than the 70-300 Sigma then Canon do an image stabalised 55-250 or a 70-300 with IS. The latter of the pair is a bit better built and more robust, but the 55-250 a friend has is effective for a lens of its price.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.