Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DSLR recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    yellowmunky
    26 Feb 2007 - 3:03 AM

Hiya folks.

I want to break away from my S9500 and enter the world of DSLR, and I'm after suggestions on what camera you guys recommend...

I've done my own research, and so far, the Canon 400D looks sweet at entry level, but if I need to, then I'll stretch the budget a bit further... A large majority of my work will involve night shots at a low ISO, but I do want versatility...

cheers,
    Michael

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Feb 2007 - 3:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

afunkyname
    26 Feb 2007 - 3:08 AM

anything will do, its the person behind the camera that makes all the difference.

400d - good choice.

yellowmunky
    26 Feb 2007 - 3:28 AM

Applying the logic that 'anything will do', I'll sell all my gear, and stick with my cameraphone! Grin heh heh!

Seriously though, I want to break away from my S9500.. It's a great camera for what it is, but it's not without its restrictions...

Cheers,
    Michael

David_c
    David_c  9244 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2007 - 8:26 AM

The best advice i have seen on this topic is ;

Get out there and check them out for yourself.

400d is a small dslr so some will find it awkward to hold .

So get it down to a shortlist of a few and go and try them
    out yourself as its the idiot behind the camera so they say that makes the photo LOL!

If you cant find the right buttons
    when you need them or dont like the menu system then it will bug you and you wont be so in touch with your creative side !

I would say that low iso is obviously a priority so the
    400d seems a good choice on the face of it.

When i sold my digicam and got a dslr i was a little bugged that i lost an excellent macro capability .
    Some time later i splashed out on a lens that has macro
    function but still miss the swivel lcd which was great for macro. So moving up isnt all better.

Can you get to the Focus Show in Birmingham , you will get alot of advice there !!!

Regards ,
    David

Freefall
    Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2007 - 8:34 AM

Highly recommend handling the camera's you're thinking of buying - as mentioned the 400D is a very small camera - would drive me potty if I'd gone that route - not because of the image quality, but because I can only get 2 fingers on the grip!

ripleysalien
    26 Feb 2007 - 3:13 PM

I have a 350D with extra grip and find it fine, Im 6ft and 15+ stone so I aint small and have used it ok for a year or more.
    You need to figure out what you want it for, Landscape, sports, macro, studio, then find a unit that will give you what you want in terms of features.

Steve

yellowmunky
    27 Feb 2007 - 1:38 AM

Many thanks for your input guys...

My gut feeling is to hold out a few months, save a few more bucks, and then taking your advice, try a few out for handling until I'm ready to commit.

Cheers,
    Michael

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.