Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DSLR Recommends Low, Midrange and High End Canon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:02 PM

My friend is a very good photographer, she has a natural eye for the subject. Her husband has asked my advice on a DSLR for her Christmas present.

I can't see any point in not going Canon as I and her brother have Canon DSLRs and we will be able to help her get started. Loan her special lenses too perhaps.

What do you think is the budget body to go for these days? Is it a XXXD or an XXXXD (300D when I started)

Would like to give him a a midrange (XXD) recommend too (would have been 20D at one time). Not sure what the state of play is in that range.

Also, just as an option, quite like to list a higher end model ( perhaps with L series lens)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:08 PM

Canon 1100D is the cheapest option at 277, body only.

All depends on how much the hubby is prepared to spend, surely? List here.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mshulver1
    mshulver1  3 United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:19 PM

I had a canon 1000d till it broke so "upgraded" to a nikon d90 and I can't say I have taken better photos with it, so i'd get a 1100d or a 550d similar to 600d without stupid flip screen, and get better lenses, plus weight is an issue for me with the d90 with 700-300mm lens its just bit heavy to carry around all day

User_Removed
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:30 PM

@CB I wanted some high end recommends as it would take her a long, long time to outgrow. He works in Far East and might be able to buy at lower prices. Looking at your list, wonder what the 60D with 17-85 IS lens is like. That's a good range for a single lens. Think I'll shortlist that.

Will deffo have to spec a lens with each body.

User_Removed
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:49 PM

I have a friend selling a Canon 7D with Canon 28-135 IS lens & remote control - 700.00, pm me if interested.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 2:52 PM

Quote: wonder what the 60D with 17-85 IS lens is like. That's a good range for a single lens

I used the 20D with that very lens and most of the pics hanging on my walls were taken with that. Smile

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

The 15-85mm is better regarded than the 17-85mm, Chris, so you might want to at least look into that. The 'stupid flip screen' of the 60D does sometimes look like the proverbial spare one as it flails about, but it's nonetheless useful for various types of photo. Still on the 60D - it has a phenomenal battery life & brighter optical viewfinder over the cheaper incarnations. Live AF mode is pretty rubbish for its poor accuracy - Quick AF mode much better, but noisier and takes some getting used to.

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2012 - 5:05 PM

I found the flip screen very useful the other day when I found that to get the shot I wanted I would have had to lie on my back to get my eye to the view finder Smile

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2012 - 5:06 PM

BTW I've got a 60d and would definitely recommend it

llareggub
    llareggub  4682 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2012 - 5:13 PM

I don't have any experience of any of the camras you are talking about (I am shooting with a 50D), however I think I would suggest something a little different from the 17-85mmIS lens, I had one for a short period of time and it was "OK" but nothing stellar. I have heard very good things about the 15-85mm but never used uit but unless the additional 30mm is a clincher maybe look at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non VC) or the even more highly rated (and expensive) sigma 17-50mm f2.8. Both are a fraction of the price of the very highly regarded Canon equivalent but in many cases these two lenses give it a good run for its money.

The focal length is a decent walk about for me and even when I had the 85mm length I rarely used it and when I did I tended to want more Smile

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2012 - 7:00 PM

I use the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC and find it to be a decent performer - on a par with my recently departed 17-40mm f4 I think. Balances nicely on the 60D, and if you have other non crop-sensor bodies it has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive - so you needn't chuck a load of cash at an exclusively EF-S fit lens. I think the 70-200 f4 L sits nicely on the 60D too, whereas faster telephotos tend to feel front-heavy.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.