Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dual Monitor Calibration

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    12 Nov 2011 - 2:09 PM

I have a Laptop Dell Studio 15 with dual channel graphics card driving a projector (2nd Monitor) running W7 64 bit. I can set the desktop to extended and indepenently set the resolution of the Laptop screen and projector. I can set colour profiles against each device but what ever I set last is applied to both Laptop screen and projector. I have tried a number of things including checking if the ATI Graphics driver is up-to-date but cannot solve this. I have a Spyder 3 Elite to produce independent profiles for the Laprtop and Projector. One thing I do notice is that in Device drivers two monitors are shown but both are called Generic Pnp driver. In the colour management screen they are identified as 1 and 2 but nevertheless the same name so I am wondering if this is the problem and how to get around it.

I also have a desktop PC Running 32 bit Vista with two monitors and have no problem loading different colour profiles for each monitor. However, each monitor has a specific driver so have different names. Can anyone advise?

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Nov 2011 - 2:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    12 Nov 2011 - 2:32 PM

Do all three come up with different numbers 1, 2 and 3 and can they all show different content? If one is just a clone of another you won't be able to spec a separate profile for it. After all Photoshop or any program wouldn't know which one your eyes were looking at at any one time.

When I save my Spyder profiles I call them different names to the default: _HP, _Hanns (I start with an underscore just to make them quick to find in DPP, Firefox etc)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Nov 2011 - 2:36 PM
    darrensmithgbr
    12 Nov 2011 - 3:38 PM

you appear to have done the......

.....click on color management in the advanced settings on your screen resolution,
    ......then you can select which monitor you wish to use your profile on on the top view, you can select either of your monitors using the drop down list (and check which one is which using the identify monitors button.
    ......and apply the profile to each seperately.
    I use multiple monitors and had the same issues as you a while ago. I found it easier to delete the other ones to minimise errors. it does work as if i use the default rgb profile, all of my monitors look different.

hope this helps

D

Dave_Canon
    12 Nov 2011 - 7:32 PM

There are only two, the Laptop Screen and the Projector. In the device driver list under Monitor there are two Monitors each called "Generic PnP Monitor". In the Color Management screen they are listed as "Display:1. Generic PnP Monitor" and "Display:2. Generic PnP Monitor". Chris I am convinced that one is just a clone of the other but how can I make them different? I tried updtaing each in the Device Driver screen but Windows tells me that each is already the optimum driver.

There is no problem with the spyder profiles, I have several created for the Laptop and the projector and can assign any of them. However, whichever I assign to whichever display they end up both being assigned to whichever profile was assigned last.

Dave

User_Removed
    12 Nov 2011 - 7:41 PM

Can you tick Extend My Desktop Onto This Monitor (so it puts separate content onto the device instead of cloning) see image http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/idl_html_help/images/multi_mon01_02.gif

Dave_Canon
    12 Nov 2011 - 7:49 PM

Yes, I do have extended Desktop and you can set each to a different resolution. It also seems that you can set a different color profile but actually applies the same to each.

Dave

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 1:30 AM

I think Spyder has perhaps saved your profiles with the same names Dave (overwriting one)?

Dave_Canon
    13 Nov 2011 - 10:09 AM

No that is not the problem there are earlier profiles that were created before we were aware of this problem. So I have a selection of profiles differently named some for the Laptop and some for the projector. They are different profiles and the screen colour is altered as you load them. The problem remains that whichever profile you load last, is applied to both Laptop and projector and appears against each "monitor" as the default. At some stage in the past the Laptop was upgraded from Vista to W7 and we are fairly certain that this isssue did not occur wioth Vista.

Dave

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 11:01 AM

When you say "whichever profile you load last", how are you loading?

I always let the Spyder 3 utility run in the system tray automatically loading the correct profile for each monitor and checking other software doesn't change the settings.

If you read Darren's post, he talks about doing it manually in advanced and how he solved his problem. FWIW I'd make sure the Spyer Util is running

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Nov 2011 - 11:03 AM
    Dave_Canon
    13 Nov 2011 - 11:47 AM

I appreciate that it is difficult for you as I may not be telling what you need to know.

I have been running the Spyder 3 Utility though went into SysConfig yesterday to disable startup just in case it was affecting the situation but this made no difference.

My reference to "loading" may have been misleading. Running "Color Mangement" in W7 I can select from the devices e.g. Display: 1. Generic PnP Monitor (assume that this is the projector) then from the list of profiles I highlight a Projector profile. I have three such profiles 2 created some time ago using a Spyder 2 Pro and one created a few days ago using the Spyder 3 Elite. I then click "Set as Default Profile" and the projected image colour is now correct. I then select a different device "Display: 2. Generic PnP Monitor" which is the Laptop display and note that its default profile is identical to that just set for the projector. At this point the Laptop is looking odd because it has the wrong profile. I then highlight a different profile and again I have several which were created by the Spyders for the Laptop. Having highlighted a Laptop profile I click on Set as Default Profile and both Laptop and projected image change colour the Laptop now being correct and the projected image wrong. Going back to the first device Display: 1. Generic PnP Monitor confirms that the default profile is that which has been set for the Display: 2. Generic PnP Monitor.

Canon do not seem to supply a driver so inevitably it uses a Windows Generic driver. Similarly the Dell Studio 15 does not seem to have any specific Monitor driver so also uses a Windows Generic driver. I feel sure that this may be the cause of the problem. If I cannot resolve this, we can live with just the projector calibrated.

Dave

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:47 PM

I've calibrated dual displays before with Generic PnP Monitors as their drivers. Try this trick - go to Device Manager and update one of the monitor drivers

Right Click Update Driver Software.
    13-11-2011-17-47-37.jpg

Then choose Browse my computer for driver software
    Now choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Untick Show compatible hardware
    Choose a Generic Panel or a similar manufacturer

This might trick the computer into using a different name for each driver if you get what I mean

13-11-2011-17-44-26.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Nov 2011 - 5:48 PM
    Dave_Canon
    13 Nov 2011 - 10:48 PM

Chris, I will get back to this on Tuesday. This sounds like a good solution and was also suggested by one of my Club members who ran a PC business. I will let you know how it goes. Many thanks.

Dave

Dave_Canon
    15 Nov 2011 - 12:38 PM

Chris I did follow up a lead on an Canon SX80 driver but it was a Red Herring so I followed your suggestion to select a different driver for the Laptop. This does appear to have worked. The driver may be more limted but I do not need much flexibility with the Laptop display and it seems fine. I can now set a different default color profile to both Laptop and projector. Also the Spyder 3 Elite software now sees two different monitors and can calibrate each independently whereas before it thought that there was only one monitor. We will be checking over the next few weeks that there are no drawbacks but it certainly confirms that two identical drivers is the problem. Many thanks for your help.

Dave

User_Removed
    16 Nov 2011 - 12:03 AM

Great, glad it worked Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.