Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Duh?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 7323 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 8:47 AM

My Dell 4:3 19" monitor has just packed in, after 6+ plus of great service. Researching the possible alternatives, I hadn't realised just how far technology has moved on. Whereas previously all I needed was a kettle lead for power and a VGA cable for my computer connection, I am now faced with an input choice of VGA, HDMI, D-sub and DVI. I don't even know what the latter two cables look like.

I have around 150 to spend. Apart from internet browsing and checking emails, my main use will be for post-processing of Raw files with PSE 10. I don't do gaming, and rarely stream video. I don't want a monitor with on-board speakers. I really just want something that will give me the best picture quality and product reliability for the money, with a tilting frame on a solid stand. Brands I have in mind include Samsung, Dell, HP, Asus and Benq.

Problem is, I want to buy something today. I have a large Tesco, Currys and PC world about 15 minutes drive away, where I should at least be able to see a couple of Samsungs and HPs - I guess the chances of picking up a Asus or Benq are remote, except through Amazon. That said, I'm not a purist - as mentioned above, all I want is picture quality and reliability.

Any ideas as to what might be a best buy for the money, please give me your thoughts asap - in particular, please say which connection is best - VGA, D-sub, DVI or HDMI (and out of those, I take it I need only one as in, I assume the various types of connector are mutually exclusive?)

Thanks.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jul 2012 - 8:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

big fella
big fella  10484 forum posts England
7 Jul 2012 - 8:55 AM

Does your graphics card have one of the other connections? I assume that as you are using VGA it may not be that new and you may have to update your graphics card or use an adaptor (VGA- DVI). Sorry, not an expert....

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 9:21 AM

For the purposes you mention VGA is fine and no sophisticated graphics card is necessary. I use two monitors - one Dell on a VGA connection and another on a HDMI connection. For photo-editing, both are essentially the same when properly calibrated.

MeanGreeny
7 Jul 2012 - 9:25 AM

Add Viewsonic to your list

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 7323 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 9:28 AM

My desktop base unit has DVI, VGA and HDMI ports. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111878 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 - 9:43 AM

PC Pro magazine rated the Viewsonic Vx2336s-LED their best value monitor.
it has a 23" IPS panel, vga & DVI inputs & costs 111.00

The best monitor is the Dell Ulratsharp U3112HP which is a better monitor than the viewsonic but is just above your budget at 177.00 the image quality from its IPS panel is described as superb by PC Pro magazine.
Input connectors are hdmi vga & DVI

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 11:59 AM

When you do get your new monitor, you don't want to use VGA but preferably DVI or HDMI.

GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 1:04 PM

VGA and D-Sub are the same thing, or refer interchangeably to the same type of analogue connection (amongst other terms).

You'll find it difficult to get the best monitor for your money in any big electrical store, because the chances of them stocking an IPS-panel display is remote, and that makes a big difference to viewing angles (much more than the arbitrary specs suggest).

KingBee
7 Jul 2012 - 4:44 PM

Thanks everyone, that's most helpful.

KingBee
7 Jul 2012 - 4:49 PM

Sorry - one last question (for now!). I'd already sussed that DVI or HDMI would make for a better connection than VGA. However, which is better - DVI or HDMI? Do they both do the same job? And, as in my original post, I take it that if I use HDMI-to-HDMI OR DVI-to-DVI, I only need one or the other? (What I mean is, I take it I don't need both.)

Thanks again.

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 4:54 PM

Quote: When you do get your new monitor, you don't want to use VGA but preferably DVI or HDMI.

Would you justify that statement please (remembering we are talking about photo-processing, not fast-action games).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Jul 2012 - 4:54 PM
oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2722 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 - 5:22 PM

You must distinguish between DVI-A (or the analog half of DVI-I) and DVI-D. The latter will look crisper and with probably better colour consistency than VGA. With VGA you're having to take a digital value, convert it to analog, squirt it along a wire where you are likely to get a bit of ringing or other degradation, and then have it converted back to digital inside the monitor. With DVI-D the signal stays digital throughout. In general, VGA will appear inferior at anything over 1280 pixels horizontal resolution. That's assuming correctly shielded and good quality VGA cables, and there's a lot of poor quality garbage VGA cables/connectors out there.

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 7:02 PM

Quote: Would you justify that statement please (remembering we are talking about photo-processing, not fast-action games).

Do a Google search for something along the lines of DVI or VGA and you'll probably find several articles that will explain it.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 Jul 2012 - 7:02 PM
User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 7:37 PM

Quote: Would you justify that statement please (remembering we are talking about photo-processing, not fast-action games).

Do a Google search for something along the lines of DVI or VGA and you'll probably find several articles that will explain it.

I did exactly what you suggested, Justin and discovered that I was correct all along.

HDMI is good if you are connecting your device to a HD TV or suchlike.

DVI is good for video games and watching videos, DVDs etc on a computer monitor.

But neither give any advantage for "static" computer programs such as the OP mentions.

Quote:
Apart from internet browsing and checking emails, my main use will be for post-processing of Raw files with PSE 10.

It's a bit like the difference between a parallel printer cable and a serial printer cable that we all used back in the 80s. The parallel cable allowed the data to transfer faster but the printed image was no better. With "normal" applications like photoprocessing, the speed of data transmission between computer and monitor is not a critical factor.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Jul 2012 - 7:43 PM
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 7:57 PM

Quote: But neither give any advantage for "static" computer programs such as the OP mentions.

Yeah, they do - see post from oldblokeh above. I switched to DVI-D from VGA a few years back and noticed an appreciably 'crisper' picture, although the difference depends in part on your hardware.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.