Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dull colours in PS after new graphics card

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 6:45 PM

I've just got a new iiyama full hd 1920 x 1080 monitor. The colours have looked fine on it so far, but, I also got a new graphics card today - an His radeon hd2600 pro 256mb.
I installed the latest drivers and software for the card and although colours look fine on the desktop and online etc, both psd files and jpegs look very murky and desaturated in photoshop. Has anyone else had this sort of problem and knows a possible solution?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Mar 2009 - 6:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2009 - 6:54 PM

You haven't got Monitor RGB enabled in your PS Proof Setup have you? Just a thought.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 6:58 PM

I'll look and see.
No - is that where you click view - proof colours? I haven't got it clicked, and it's setup for my printer and paper when I do click it. As far as I know I haven't made any changes at all in PS. The only changes have been the card and its software, but I'm not sure how to get rid of any of the software without risking losing the drivers for the card.

Last Modified By LeighRebecca at 5 Mar 2009 - 7:01 PM
User_Removed
5 Mar 2009 - 7:07 PM

Have a look in the graphics card settings, you may find some colour management has been enabled automatically and is fighting with photoshop.

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 7:12 PM

I'm looking through everything I can find in the card's software and settings. There's nothing obvious yet.

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 7:32 PM

Pictures and colours look fine in windows explorer too.

User_Removed
5 Mar 2009 - 7:42 PM

Clutching at straws...

Can you check what profile is associated with the pics on photoshop.

Can you print a small pic to see if the problem exists with printing as well.

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 7:50 PM

How do I check the profile associated with the pics on photoshop?
Yes, I'll try a print.

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 8:01 PM

The prints look the same, and strangely even when I do a print preview it shows the proper colours, so it is definitely just something about the way the colours are displayed within photoshop - not even its preview screen - although I guess that's the printer's software providing the preview.

User_Removed
5 Mar 2009 - 8:03 PM

Photoshop / edit / convert to profile
Let me know what it says in the top box (source space)

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 8:07 PM

Ah, I see. It's srgb... like it always is on my system. I shoot in srgb because my printers like them that way.

User_Removed
5 Mar 2009 - 8:14 PM

Shooting in sRGB, thats another small can of worms. My own opinion is to shoot in Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB if needed. Adobe RGB has a higher colour gamut and can handle more colours. Converting to sRGB actually cuts down the number of available colours so I only use this for web pages, posting on here etc.

Anyway that is not the cause of your problem as the difference between the two colour spaces is not that marked, certainly not enough to make pics seem muddy.

Not sure what else to suggest. Incidently photoshop shows the print preview based on the picture colours versus the colours the printer can print.

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 8:16 PM

I've just uninstalled some of the graphics software whilst hopefully keeing the drivers. I need to restart to see if it's done any good. Thanks for the help.

Last Modified By LeighRebecca at 5 Mar 2009 - 8:17 PM
User_Removed
5 Mar 2009 - 8:16 PM

Probably worth joining the Adobe forum and posting the problem. I have had great advice in the past and the chances are that some else has had the same problem.

Good luck Smile

LeighRebecca
5 Mar 2009 - 8:19 PM

I've googled the problem and peeped in the adobe forum, but it's quite a specific issue to google. That may well be my next move if I don't sort it out myself soon. Thanks again.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.