Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dull galleries?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

edsephiroth
26 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Is it me, or are the galleries a bit uninspiring at the moment? I know the "why are so many pics so similar" topic has been done to death, but...I'm trying to figure out whether my tastes are just becoming more specific, or if anybody else feels they're duller than usual at the moment.

Finding it even harder than usual to find much that I haven't seen a million times before at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

I think its your tastes personally - that and the fact that you have to accept that we are almost oversaturated in photos these days - turn on the telly, open a magazine, a book, a paper, go for a walk through towns and look a billboards, ads - the internet....

There is a heck of a lot of material out there now so its very easy for people to get that "its all been done" and "its not inspiring anymore".
Personally I would have agood hunt around flickr and the like for some aritsts in areas your interested in - or just pick up the camera and inspire yourself/let your subject inspire you.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

Quote: the "why are so many pics so similar" topic has been done to death

True, but that doesn't change how you feel about it, I get that.

Quote: my tastes are just becoming more specific

Have you tried filtering the gallery for specific categories, or even searching the gallery for specific subjects? Or are the shots in one category or of one subject all the same to you too?

Quote: if anybody else feels they're duller than usual at the moment.

I do feel that at times, but also find that this is something that goes up and down, like any trend - sometimes I feel most pics are dull, and then there's a period when I see one stunner after the other.

It's probably just a phase - either for you or for the gallery. It'll pass.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

Quote: There is a heck of a lot of material out there now so its very easy for people to get that "its all been done" and "its not inspiring anymore".

There's a lot of material out there but, on EPZ at least, it mostly tends towards being very similar. Landscapes in particular - but I've been on this particular soapbox before.

1. Wideangle lenses are not essential for landscape.
2. You do not always have to include the sky in your shot.
3. A foreground rock, off-centre, leading to a big vista and a sunset sky has been done to death. Try something, anything, new.
4. Photoshop is not a substitute for good photographic technique.

People should try enlarging their frames of reference. There is good, interesting work around if you are prepared to look for it.

Last Modified By joolsb at 26 May 2009 - 12:04 PM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Looks like you're preaching to those who are producing the same old stuff (me included), Jools, not to those who are frustrated by it...

Last Modified By conrad at 26 May 2009 - 12:09 PM
joolsb
26 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

The latter would be like preaching to the choir, Conrad. Smile

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

Quote: Photoshop is not a substitute for good photographic technique.

But unfortunatly, not everyone can travel to the planet Zog to capture those landscapes of beryllium rocks in mercury-filled seas against methane clounds in an argon sky. Sometime you just have to make the best of whats here on earth and photoshop in the rest.

User_Removed
26 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Quote: A foreground rock, off-centre, leading to a big vista and a sunset sky has been done to death. Try something, anything, new.

I know what you mean, but the photographer doing it may not have done it before and at some stages in learning anything, imitation teaches a lot.

Trying to do something different is important - although if everybody declined to upload anything that they didn't think was different I wonder how many uploads we'd have in the gallery? Wink

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Dull galleries....nah i wouldn't say so. I go through them often times on a daily basis and I always find something new. It really depends on what catches your eye. I like Digital Art, Abstract Architecture, Automotive and with those types of categories you get all sorts of unique photography. Unfortunatly, im not much into landscapes or wildlife so they don't appeal to me personally, but many members on the site they do.

I also like anything original especially those photographers on the site who have created a definable style.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 26 May 2009 - 12:50 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Use your filter to get rid of...

landscape
wildlife
birds

and the cliche's seem to disappear hugely...

give it a go if you don't believe me

Smile

Picture_Newport

Quote: Use your filter to get rid of...

landscape
wildlife
birds

and the cliche's seem to disappear hugely...

give it a go if you don't believe me

Just gave this a go. Gues What... It Works.

I checked all apart from:

General
Pets / Captive Animals
Wildlife / Nature
Flowers / Plants
Landscape / Travel

The gallery takes on a new life, much more diverse and interesting.

Paul

Picture_Newport

Do away with Close Up also, or you still get Flora (not the spread) Smile

joolsb
26 May 2009 - 1:36 PM

Quote: But unfortunatly, not everyone can travel to the planet Zog to capture those landscapes of beryllium rocks in mercury-filled seas against methane clounds in an argon sky. Sometime you just have to make the best of whats here on earth and photoshop in the rest

LOL!

bigalguitarpicker

So I thought I'd give the filters a try and ticked Fine Art Nude and Nude/Glamour. The first pic that came up was of a tree lined avenue in a park.
DusanZidar, why have you labelled your (very good) photo of a park as Nude/Glamour?

Last Modified By bigalguitarpicker at 26 May 2009 - 2:20 PM
uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 2:29 PM

Why is it people dont seem to notice the repition of portriats on the site but always aim at the Landscapes/wildlife?

I have been looking closly at portraits and the styles on the site and see a lot of texture/PS work lifting dull portraits out of the dulldrums..

Is this any different to people working landscapes with PS? I personally think its probably worse as in a studio you have more controll imo.

As for repitition in wildlife and flora, very much depends on the time of the year for many as to what they can get out and shoot.

As to Planet zoG, WAHH its not on google maps, so not going there soon Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.