Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dumbed Down

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 8:07 PM

Oh dear, just when we think homo sapiens is getting cleverer and cleverer, along comes Prof Gerald Crabtree of Stanford University to say, actually the reverse is the case!

Article here.

Quote:

quote.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Nov 2012 - 8:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014146 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 8:40 PM

I started to read it but it was just full of long words, so I gave up.

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 2120 forum postsSnapster vcard England
12 Nov 2012 - 9:06 PM

So they wouldn't freak out and go into meltdown?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 9:28 PM

Quote: I started to read it but it was just full of long words, so I gave up.

Grin

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 9:46 PM

Keep the noise down CB, I'm trying to watch Celebrity, get me out of here....

Newdevonian
12 Nov 2012 - 10:41 PM

I tried to read the same article, but it was all Greek to me.

keith selmes
12 Nov 2012 - 11:27 PM

Don't need to read the book, I seen the movie already innit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

thewilliam
12 Nov 2012 - 11:32 PM

I imagine that a well-educated Greek from 500BC would be special in our world, but it was Egypt that led the world in 1000BC.

monstersnowman
13 Nov 2012 - 12:07 AM

Some may question whether we have actually stopped evolving as a species now.

Newdevonian
13 Nov 2012 - 10:01 AM

Quote: Some may question whether we have actually stopped evolving as a species now.

Have you been watching football matches again?

Carabosse
13 Nov 2012 - 10:21 AM

Quote: Have you been watching football matches again?

Surely nobody watches those, these days? Don't we all watch X-Factor instead? Grin

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2012 - 10:45 AM

He would only be more 'intellectually alive' if he were able to comprehend the world around him and make sense of it.

I remember back in the 1970s there was a TV series where a group of people lived for a year in a stone-age camp in the New Forest. Contrary to what they do with 'reality series' now, they did it the hard way. They were given a lecture on our knowledge of stone-age technology then told to build their own camp and grow their own food. They were given tents for the first few weeks while they built their houses but after that it was live off the land - they lived in the houses they built and ate only what they could grow and elarnt how to cure leather and preserve meat. Outside of the film crew, access to outsiders (including 'experts') was controlled and limited.
What surprised the anthropologists was the way they developed technology to suit the need and in doing so they provided some solutions to some things that the academics had not previously understood.

The sum total of this is 'needs must'. So do I think that Prof Crabtree is onto anything? Not really.

Carabosse
13 Nov 2012 - 11:39 AM

Quote: He would only be more 'intellectually alive' if he were able to comprehend the world around him and make sense of it.

I assume if he were transported through time as a baby ( la Superman Grin) and grew up in the modern world, that would sort the comprehension issue, but he would have the advantage of non-dumbed down genetics?

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hmm. The article talks about the need for hunter gatherers to survive but then he talks about transporting a citizen from Athens. I find that a rather tenuous extrapolation.
The reverse argument was used to justify eugenics in the early 20th century where, as an example, the US saw the influx of peasants from Eastern Europe as diluting the American society that was built on high technology.

rhousham
rhousham  7432 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 - 12:49 PM

Not too sure about that.
Over the years we have become more educated - take the 1700's most people in England wouldn't be going to school or be able to read or write.
Now it's a skill that most have in our society.

So we have become more educated over the years - or maybe the gap is widening? Between the Steven Hawking's of this world and the people at the other end.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.