Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dumbed Down

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Nov 2012 8:07PM
Oh dear, just when we think homo sapiens is getting cleverer and cleverer, along comes Prof Gerald Crabtree of Stanford University to say, actually the reverse is the case!

Article here .

Quote:

quote.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 8:40PM
I started to read it but it was just full of long words, so I gave up.
Snapster e2
2 133 England
12 Nov 2012 9:06PM
So they wouldn't freak out and go into meltdown?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Nov 2012 9:28PM

Quote:I started to read it but it was just full of long words, so I gave up.

Grin
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 9:46PM
Keep the noise down CB, I'm trying to watch Celebrity, get me out of here....
12 Nov 2012 10:41PM
I tried to read the same article, but it was all Greek to me.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 11:27PM
Don't need to read the book, I seen the movie already innit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
12 Nov 2012 11:32PM
I imagine that a well-educated Greek from 500BC would be special in our world, but it was Egypt that led the world in 1000BC.
13 Nov 2012 12:07AM
Some may question whether we have actually stopped evolving as a species now.
13 Nov 2012 10:01AM

Quote:Some may question whether we have actually stopped evolving as a species now.

Have you been watching football matches again?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Nov 2012 10:21AM

Quote:Have you been watching football matches again?

Surely nobody watches those, these days? Don't we all watch X-Factor instead? Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 10:45AM
He would only be more 'intellectually alive' if he were able to comprehend the world around him and make sense of it.

I remember back in the 1970s there was a TV series where a group of people lived for a year in a stone-age camp in the New Forest. Contrary to what they do with 'reality series' now, they did it the hard way. They were given a lecture on our knowledge of stone-age technology then told to build their own camp and grow their own food. They were given tents for the first few weeks while they built their houses but after that it was live off the land - they lived in the houses they built and ate only what they could grow and elarnt how to cure leather and preserve meat. Outside of the film crew, access to outsiders (including 'experts') was controlled and limited.
What surprised the anthropologists was the way they developed technology to suit the need and in doing so they provided some solutions to some things that the academics had not previously understood.

The sum total of this is 'needs must'. So do I think that Prof Crabtree is onto anything? Not really.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Nov 2012 11:39AM

Quote:He would only be more 'intellectually alive' if he were able to comprehend the world around him and make sense of it.

I assume if he were transported through time as a baby ( la Superman Grin) and grew up in the modern world, that would sort the comprehension issue, but he would have the advantage of non-dumbed down genetics?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 12:46PM
Hmm. The article talks about the need for hunter gatherers to survive but then he talks about transporting a citizen from Athens. I find that a rather tenuous extrapolation.
The reverse argument was used to justify eugenics in the early 20th century where, as an example, the US saw the influx of peasants from Eastern Europe as diluting the American society that was built on high technology.
rhousham e2
7 432 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 12:49PM
Not too sure about that.
Over the years we have become more educated - take the 1700's most people in England wouldn't be going to school or be able to read or write.
Now it's a skill that most have in our society.

So we have become more educated over the years - or maybe the gap is widening? Between the Steven Hawking's of this world and the people at the other end.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.