Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dummies Guide to shooting slowmo on Canon 650D

28 Dec 2012 1:38PM
I'm new to Canon cameras and have just bought a 650D. I should really like to shoot some slow-motion video at 60fps, but the Canon manual is remarkably lacking in instructions on how to do it. Could anyone please spare the time to give me absolutely basic advice on how to shoot slow-motion.

Many thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Dec 2012 3:06PM
I'm guesing now that the 60fps option is not available on cameras sold in the UK, using PAL. Instead, we get a 50fps option. Nevertheless, when I select 50fps and shoot, the playback is at normal speed, instead of 2x. What am I doing wrong?
28 Dec 2012 3:23PM
put your canon utube 650d video see wats on there Smile
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
28 Dec 2012 4:10PM
You need to shoot at 50 or 60 fps and then slow the footage down using your preferred video editing software.
I'd second the recommendation for Youtube, you should find a whole host of video tutorials there.
28 Dec 2012 4:14PM
Surely if you shoot at 50fps and play back, it should play back at half-speed...i.e. slow-motion?
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
28 Dec 2012 4:48PM
It will play back at normal speed. You have to slow it down during post processing. 50 fps doesn't mean the footage will play back slowly, it's just a good starting point for you to be able to slow down the footage by however much you decide.
GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
28 Dec 2012 8:16PM
in playback mode on my 7D by default normal play is highlighted, scroll across to the right once and it will go onto slow motion to view your 60fps, when on PC in your video editing software export at 30 fps, you will get the effect you saw in camera!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.