Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Duracel batteries?

HuntedDragon 6 118 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2010 1:53PM
hi all,

has anybody had problems with Duracel battieries in their flash lites?

mine wouldnt sink up. the pictures came out black unless i reduced the shutter speed to tri pod levals, the AF assist red light seaced to function too.
after changing the batteries everything started working again, with the odd black image then no dark images, and everything apears to be working again......

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Feb 2010 4:09PM
Not had any issues with thier " Alkaline " type, However have a couple of 4 pack sets of Duracell rechargeable NiMh batteries, That are crap compared to Sanyo options.

I have a sneaky feeling there may be some " Pirate " versions of the Duracell Alkalines doing the rounds, Found some on sale in a garden centre a while back, They don't weight as much as the genuine article, They are priced at around one third of the normal Duracell prices.

My guess is that they only have a third of the charge capacity too.

Same probably applies to the crap rechargeable things I have....Sad
9 Feb 2010 5:04PM
rechargeables have a horable trait of being 'badged' what theyre not.. like 700mah labeled 2800 etc.......

i'm still using some cheap 1800mah nicads, well out dated but still working very well lol, i even fast charge them against the manufacturers advice, after 6 years you'd think you'd notice why lol.

back to the duracels, in one night vision device the proper duracells gave a sicky green no charge image, i used them in a torch (home made boosted thing) they had a realy good charge in them, i found the nipples on the posative node was to too small... thats all i could find visualy. same in another camera.

i've also read on the net (so as always a pinch of salt) about 6k devises being trashed by duracels too.. etc amidst other things.
bill777 e2
11 164 1 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2010 7:11PM
Well, they may have improved but with 20 years photographic retail experience I'd steer clear of duracell myself. They caused more problems than all the other makes put together. E.g. leakages, partially flat packs, odd one or two completely dead in multipacks, splits casings, etc.

Those pesky ad's keep them up there as market leaders though.

Bill
9 Feb 2010 7:19PM
i read in some book duracel C and D cells have something like 5amps in them(5000mah capacity), from playing electronics its seems too hi an ampage and the volts or temperature change with that capacity trying to flow can be a pain in it...and pop goes acompoinent lol.(what ever ohms law said in theory lol...)

so far the vote is with the batteries and not the flash or camera...i hope.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 10:30PM

Quote:I read in some book duracel C and D cells have something like 5amps in them(5000mah capacity), from playing electronics its seems too hi an ampage and the volts or temperature change with that capacity trying to flow can be a pain in it...and pop goes acompoinent lol.(what ever ohms law said in theory lol...)

so far the vote is with the batteries and not the flash or camera...i hope.

I think you need to do some more reading on mah (milli amp hour)
It doesnt mean that they put out 5 amps,, it essentially a guide as to how long a bttery will last if (X) ammount of current is drawn from it. The bigger the battery the longer they last as a rule,, hence the larger number.

That is not by any means diffinitive but gives a better idea of it. Smile
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 10:48PM
Having had a quick scan, the batter impedance is @ 170mOhm and from the data sheet you may be able to get to just under 5A for a very short time.

But to be honest any well designed Flash gun will control its own current internally, so it should be a non-issue. It is more likely that the batters are too high an impedance and so dip in voltage too much when the charging cycle begins.
10 Feb 2010 11:20PM
oops forgot to say these were the alkilines..(disposables).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.