Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


dust. on nikon d300s sensor


dazzaman 8 570 England
1 Sep 2012 4:44PM
I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
1 Sep 2012 5:01PM
Phone them or email them and tell them there is a problem. They should be happy to resolve the situation at no cost to you.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Sep 2012 5:58PM
Get a sensor cleaning kit Darren. It should be part of your standard lit... Wink
dazzaman 8 570 England
1 Sep 2012 8:08PM
I've tried it with a rocket blower,but no good.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Sep 2012 9:00PM
If you are seeing the stuff in the viewfinder, it is not dust on the sensor. May be dust on the mirror or in the viewfinder - but neither would affect the image. If it is visible in the viewfinder and on the image, it has to be on the lens.

Simple.

.
Garry1956 2 12 1 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 10:42PM

Quote:I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.


I agree with Leftforum
It surely is on the lens if you can see it through the view finder and its on the image. Sensor contamination would only be visable on the image. Contamination in the viewfinder is not visable on the image.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Sep 2012 8:57AM

Quote:it's showing up on the images when I zoom up


Wink

But there is undoubtedly something in the light-path...
dazzaman 8 570 England
2 Sep 2012 11:12AM
Its a bit worrying as i paid 800 quid for a camera thats classed as mint.i thought it should av been checked before shipping.
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 11:20AM
Could it be that somebody has attempted to remove dust in the incorrect manner thereby removing some of the reflective coating on the mirror?

If that is the case - send it back for a refund after telephoning (and 'writing to' for records) the supplier with the reason for return.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 11:52AM
If that were the case it wouldn't show through the viewfinder. Could be gunk on the rear element of the lens.
Garry1956 2 12 1 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 3:23PM
Why not take the lens off then look through the view finder. still see it?
dazzaman 8 570 England
2 Sep 2012 7:58PM
Yes ive already tried that,and its still there.Sad
3 Sep 2012 9:01AM
The first thing to do is talk to the seller - either it was mint when it left MPB - or it was not.
I would expect a large mark on the sensor to be removed by cleaning prior to sale.
If you bought mail order you have 10 days to return it - for ANY reason - including just changing your mind - Distane Selling Regulations.
Moving on there is something to clarify - as already mentioned marks on a sensor (unless extremely large as in more than 10% of the sensor area) do not show in the viewfinder.
It might be there is dust in the viewfinder as well as dust on the sensor i.e. 2 issues.
Bearing in mind the image on the sensor is "upside down" when a photo is taken (corrected by the software in the viewfinder) and flipped to change from a mirror image; dust on the top left of the sensor shows as a mark on the bottom left of the image - is this what is happening?
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 9:15AM

Quote:If that were the case it wouldn't show through the viewfinder. Could be gunk on the rear element of the lens.


I am no expert on the mechanics of cameras, but surely as the image making light, when using the viewfinder travels from the image, via the mirror to the sensor, anything on the mirror not designed to be there can be seen via the viewfinder?

At the time the shot is taken, the mirror lifts out of the light path allowing it direct access to the sensor. Not wishing to argue, just interested.
3 Sep 2012 10:15AM
Surely LF's earlier contribution is being missed..?


Quote:If you are seeing the stuff in the viewfinder, it is not dust on the sensor. May be dust on the mirror or in the viewfinder - but neither would affect the image. If it is visible in the viewfinder and on the image, it has to be on the lens.



Quote:as already mentioned marks on a sensor (unless extremely large as in more than 10% of the sensor area) do not show in the viewfinder.


Yes but....the sensor could be 100% obscured and not seen in the viewfinder because initially, the mirror is in the way - and the outside world, via the lens is the ONLY thing you see in the viewfinder..?

And finally...


Quote:At the time the shot is taken, the mirror lifts out of the light path allowing it direct access to the sensor


That's the way I understood it too...

So.... surely anything you see prior to pressing the shutter, is on the viewfinder screen, the mirror or the lens..
Anything you see on the final image after pressing the shutter is on the sensor (or filter)..(or lens as LF said..)

To have both is very puzzling..!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.