Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

dust. on nikon d300s sensor

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dazzaman
dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
1 Sep 2012 - 4:44 PM

I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2012 - 4:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 5:01 PM

Phone them or email them and tell them there is a problem. They should be happy to resolve the situation at no cost to you.

User_Removed
1 Sep 2012 - 5:58 PM

Get a sensor cleaning kit Darren. It should be part of your standard lit... Wink

dazzaman
1 Sep 2012 - 8:08 PM

I've tried it with a rocket blower,but no good.

User_Removed
1 Sep 2012 - 9:00 PM

If you are seeing the stuff in the viewfinder, it is not dust on the sensor. May be dust on the mirror or in the viewfinder - but neither would affect the image. If it is visible in the viewfinder and on the image, it has to be on the lens.

Simple.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 1 Sep 2012 - 9:01 PM
Garry1956
Garry1956  2 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 10:42 PM

Quote: I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.

I agree with Leftforum
It surely is on the lens if you can see it through the view finder and its on the image. Sensor contamination would only be visable on the image. Contamination in the viewfinder is not visable on the image.

User_Removed
2 Sep 2012 - 8:57 AM

Quote: it's showing up on the images when I zoom up

Wink

But there is undoubtedly something in the light-path...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2012 - 8:58 AM
dazzaman
2 Sep 2012 - 11:12 AM

Its a bit worrying as i paid 800 quid for a camera thats classed as mint.i thought it should av been checked before shipping.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 11:20 AM

Could it be that somebody has attempted to remove dust in the incorrect manner thereby removing some of the reflective coating on the mirror?

If that is the case - send it back for a refund after telephoning (and 'writing to' for records) the supplier with the reason for return.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 11:52 AM

If that were the case it wouldn't show through the viewfinder. Could be gunk on the rear element of the lens.

Garry1956
Garry1956  2 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 3:23 PM

Why not take the lens off then look through the view finder. still see it?

dazzaman
2 Sep 2012 - 7:58 PM

Yes ive already tried that,and its still there.Sad

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 - 9:01 AM

The first thing to do is talk to the seller - either it was mint when it left MPB - or it was not.
I would expect a large mark on the sensor to be removed by cleaning prior to sale.
If you bought mail order you have 10 days to return it - for ANY reason - including just changing your mind - Distane Selling Regulations.
Moving on there is something to clarify - as already mentioned marks on a sensor (unless extremely large as in more than 10% of the sensor area) do not show in the viewfinder.
It might be there is dust in the viewfinder as well as dust on the sensor i.e. 2 issues.
Bearing in mind the image on the sensor is "upside down" when a photo is taken (corrected by the software in the viewfinder) and flipped to change from a mirror image; dust on the top left of the sensor shows as a mark on the bottom left of the image - is this what is happening?

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 9:15 AM

Quote: If that were the case it wouldn't show through the viewfinder. Could be gunk on the rear element of the lens.

I am no expert on the mechanics of cameras, but surely as the image making light, when using the viewfinder travels from the image, via the mirror to the sensor, anything on the mirror not designed to be there can be seen via the viewfinder?

At the time the shot is taken, the mirror lifts out of the light path allowing it direct access to the sensor. Not wishing to argue, just interested.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 3 Sep 2012 - 9:17 AM
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
3 Sep 2012 - 10:15 AM

Surely LF's earlier contribution is being missed..?

Quote: If you are seeing the stuff in the viewfinder, it is not dust on the sensor. May be dust on the mirror or in the viewfinder - but neither would affect the image. If it is visible in the viewfinder and on the image, it has to be on the lens.

Quote: as already mentioned marks on a sensor (unless extremely large as in more than 10% of the sensor area) do not show in the viewfinder.

Yes but....the sensor could be 100% obscured and not seen in the viewfinder because initially, the mirror is in the way - and the outside world, via the lens is the ONLY thing you see in the viewfinder..?

And finally...

Quote: At the time the shot is taken, the mirror lifts out of the light path allowing it direct access to the sensor

That's the way I understood it too...

So.... surely anything you see prior to pressing the shutter, is on the viewfinder screen, the mirror or the lens..
Anything you see on the final image after pressing the shutter is on the sensor (or filter)..(or lens as LF said..)

To have both is very puzzling..!

Last Modified By KevinEllison at 3 Sep 2012 - 10:18 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.