Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

dust. on nikon d300s sensor

3 Sep 2012 3:11PM

Quote:
Yes but....the sensor could be 100% obscured and not seen in the viewfinder because initially, the mirror is in the way - and the outside world, via the lens is the ONLY thing you see in the viewfinder..?

I agree. Thanks for pointing out my error.
Dust or marks on the sensor would show in LiveView, especially zoomed in on an image of a plain white card or blue sky.
I think we both agree what is being described is not accurately described, or extremely puzzling.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dazzaman e2
8 630 England
3 Sep 2012 3:24PM
ok guys, i tried shooting a plain white card last night,zoomed in 100% and the black dot wasnt there.i cleaned the mirror using a giotto rocket blower several times,but the mark is still there.i think its poss in the viewfinder.
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 3:28PM

Quote:I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.

No mention here about the result on the image, only seeing the black spot in the viewfinder. That is why I thought it could be damage to the mirror - which will not affect the final picture.
3 Sep 2012 4:58PM

Quote:Dust or marks on the sensor would show in LiveView

I was deliberately avoiding mention of Live-View to avoid muddying the waters more...!! Wink

Quote:No mention here about the result on the image, only seeing the black spot in the viewfinder

....And that's what I was trying to get to the bottom of...!! Dazza...I think this is where we're puzzled - if you get the black spot on the resultant image (viewed when reviewing after taking-or on the PC screen-or printed out photo) OR only in the viewfinder on initial composing...(and this may well disappear if you're zooming in at the time I think..).
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Sep 2012 6:02PM
Can the focusing screen be removed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.