Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Dust in Lens - Question 2!

cuffit 8 187 2 England
2 Mar 2007 8:14PM
I bought a second-hand Canon 28-135mm IS USM lens which, mechanically OK, had an incredible amount of dirt inside. The dealer has agreed to take it back and I will buy a new one; however, it occured to me - just how does a lens get so dirty (particles of grit and a grubby inner lens)? Is this normal or is it perhaps the design of the lens - should I buy this one? Anyone experienced with this lens, advice would be great.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHorne 9 1.0k
2 Mar 2007 8:27PM
Any action which extends the physical length of the lens (ie: zooming or focusing) causes air to be sucked into the body of the lens. Any particles in the air are in danger of being sucked in too.

I don't have that lens so I can't comment on whether it is unusually prone to dust getting in.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
2 Mar 2007 10:12PM
Pro spec lenses such as the canon L series and nikon D or the newer G series are much less prone to dust as they are much, much better made and sealed - however the price is usually double or triple what you'll pay for a 'regular' lens - but if you use them a lot they're worth it!
cuffit 8 187 2 England
4 Mar 2007 1:40PM
John and Sam,, thanks for replying. I took my lens back and exchanged it, plus a bit, for a new one. Having seen what can happen I shall dust the externals where possible to avoid (reduce)sucking the dust in, although I am sure it will get dirty over time but at least it will be my fault! The salesperson also said that sometimes leaving the lens in damp conditions can cause the mottling on the inner lens. I can't quite run to an L lens but agree the quality is better - I would have thought 'seals' could be of similar quality throughout the Canon range.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.