Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dust on my Nikon D7000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 5:41 PM

Since I got this camera, I have had constant dust problems...I didn't notice it so much until I started printing them out. I have sent it to have the sensor cleaned by AJ Johnstone and it was free of dust for a short while. Today again I find the dust back. I just can't seem to get rid of it. I only have one lens so it's not a case of the camera being open very often. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Mar 2011 - 5:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014630 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 5:43 PM

Are you shooting with a small aperture? That'll do it.

User_Removed
26 Mar 2011 - 5:50 PM

Quote: Are you shooting with a small aperture? That'll do it.

Yes! It will show the dust for sure (assuming that it is dust in the first instance Wink) but...

I believe the question might be more about 'how do I (a) get rid of it and (b) minimise it going forward (??)

Quote: I have had constant dust problems

Quote: I only have one lens

That last statement being taken at face value... why are you removing it?

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 6:00 PM

Yes, I shoot mostly f.22 as I do landscapes...can't compromise on that.

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 6:04 PM

Yes! It will show the dust for sure (assuming that it is dust in the first instance Wink) but...

I believe the question might be more about 'how do I (a) get rid of it and (b) minimise it going forward (??)

I have had constant dust problems

I only have one lens

That last statement being taken at face value... why are you removing it?

I only removed lens to give a blow of air to see if anything would be removed. Thought it might have been on the mirror.

User_Removed
26 Mar 2011 - 6:05 PM

Quote: I only removed lens to give a blow of air to see if anything would be removed.

So you blow with your mouth?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 6:17 PM

If there are not too many dust, then I wouldn't worry too much about it as they can be removed afterwards easily.
You can always clean it yourself using artic butterfly.
On a side note, you don't really need f22 just because you shoot landscape. What lens are you using?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 6:21 PM

The camera has an integrated dust reduction system, you only have one lens and you have even had it professionally cleaned once already ?

Are you quite sure its dust particles.

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 6:27 PM

[quote]I only removed lens to give a blow of air to see if anything would be removed.

So you blow with your mouth?[/quote No...with the blower brush(or whatever you call it nowadays), having removed the brush bit and give it a jet of air without touching anything.

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 6:29 PM

Quote: If there are not too many dust, then I wouldn't worry too much about it as they can be removed afterwards easily.
You can always clean it yourself using artic butterfly.
On a side note, you don't really need f22 just because you shoot landscape. What lens are you using?

I get my prints done by Digital Lab and the dots are very visible. I use the 18-105.

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 6:32 PM

Quote: The camera has an integrated dust reduction system, you only have one lens and you have even had it professionally cleaned once already ?

Are you quite sure its dust particles.

No, I'm not sure...just assuming it's dust. The sensor was cleaned by Johnstones.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 7:34 PM

Can't you upload a photo to show us?

Quote: I get my prints done by Digital Lab and the dots are very visible

Well, you need to clone them off first in photoshop or something like that before sending the photos to the lab.

almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 7:48 PM

[quote]Can't you upload a photo to show us?
I get my prints done by Digital Lab and the dots are very visible
Well, you need to clone them off first in photoshop or something like that before sending the photos to the lab.[/q View Nx2 is the software I have, can I do anything with it?

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2011 - 8:08 PM

First up as " Cole " has said, There is no reason to always use f/22 for landscapes, Apart from anything else you will encounter " Refraction " effects, That will almost certainly soften an image more than using a larger aperture......Smile

Read up on " Refraction " and you will see what I mean......Grin

Next, Some camera makers claim that a certain amount of what appears to be dust, Can be the result of internal parts " Running In " How relevant that is I have no idea, But on the face of it, Its a possibility as well as an excuse.....!!!

Dust is hardly an issue when you have access to Nikon Software or Adobe Software, They both offer various tools for removing dust spots.....Grin

If your using a blower, Especially a cheap one, Chances are your blowing more dust into the camera, Than your blowing out of the camera........!!!!!!!!

WHY, Because unless the blower is fitted with a filter on the intake valve, Then as it re-inflates for the next blow, It draws dust particles in from your surroundings.....Sad As fast as the air passes through it, So to do the dust particles, And unlike the odd bit of dust that just finds its way in, Your now blowing it in under pressure, Making the situation much worse.....Sad Sad Sad

So if you must use a blower buy a decent one that has filtered intake and exhaust valves, Something like the " Rocket Air Blower " ......Grin

Something else to be wary of with cheapo blowers is the material they are made from, Those ones with brushes on for example carry an awful lot of dust in the brush, Look at one under a microscope, You will be horrified.......Smile

So take on board what I and others have said, Stop worrying about dust, Check your images very carefully before sending to printers......!!!!!!

I have a 6 year old D70, Its never been cleaned ever, It has had an occasional blow with a Rocket Air, I do not have issues with dust on that camera or the others ( D200/D700).

Last Modified By cameracat at 26 Mar 2011 - 8:11 PM
almand1960
26 Mar 2011 - 8:16 PM

dsc-1029.jpg Printed at A4 size it's visible....You can see the spot in the sky just above the small white hut standing on its own above the loch beside the houses in the centre of pic. I've also just noticed one at the top of sky and top right.

Last Modified By almand1960 at 26 Mar 2011 - 8:25 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.