Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dust specks - how do I know if they are on lens or sensor and how can I get rid ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    HuddersfieldHil
    HuddersfieldHil e2 Member 1HuddersfieldHil vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 6:25 PM

Hi I have just returned from holiday in Borneo and during my time out there I noticed when framing my shots a small black spec in the bottom left corner - I have not noticed it on my pictures but I have not really taken a shot of a blank light page yet - Is there a proper way to find out where the speck is and can I clean it myself ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Feb 2013 - 6:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 7:36 PM

A number of places that spec could be, in the prism of the camera is one lens is another sensor another and view finder the next.
    to find out if the spec is on the sensor take white paper and take a shot into the white paper and then if spec is on the paper the sensor will need cleaning.
    cleaning the sensor is a delicate prosedure and I personally am not patient enough or delicate enough to undertake the task so i go to my local photography shop and get it cleaned with an hour service , I normally time this around lunch time and go have some lunch in the town, by the time i am finished with lunch it is generally ready.
    this service cost me 40.00 and they do a good job.

HuddersfieldHil
    HuddersfieldHil e2 Member 1HuddersfieldHil vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 7:39 PM

Thank you Ian I will try out the white paper shot. If it is not on the picture shold I just clean both ends of the lens and viewfinder?

RogBrown
    RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 7:55 PM

It won't be in the lens. Any marks on the lens will be too out of focus to appear in the pictures or the viewfinder.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 8:02 PM

It also wont be on the sensor as the viewfinder image is reflected from the mirror - if there is dust on the sensor you will see it in the images captured and not in the viewfinder.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014821 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2013 - 8:12 PM

Sounds like it's the viewfinder. Just to be sure it's not on the sensor, take a shot of the white paper, as suggested, but set a small f-stop.

Jestertheclown
    25 Feb 2013 - 8:18 PM

It won't be in the lens but it's just possible it's on the rear element.
    It won't be on the sensor as John points out above because you don't see the sensor through the viewfinder.
    My money's on it being on the mirror, which is easily cleaned.
    As is a sensor, for that matter.
    If you want to check the sensor for dust spots anyway, set your lens to its narrowest aperture (highest f-no.) and take a shot or two of a clear blue sky. They'll show up nicely on that.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 25 Feb 2013 - 8:18 PM
    HuddersfieldHil
    25 Feb 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thank you everyone I have done a white paper shot and cannot see the speck on the image - I will do a blue sky small aperture shot tomorrow (if the clouds have gone) I did swap lenses and it still shows up in viewfinder so I suppose that means viewfinder or mirror. I'll let you know how it goes Cheers

HuddersfieldHil
    26 Feb 2013 - 5:56 PM

Thanks Guys - I think it was on the mirror as I seem to manage to put more on when I tried to clean it in the first place - I am now speck free again.

Jestertheclown
    26 Feb 2013 - 6:03 PM

Quote: I seem to manage to put more on when I tried to clean it

. . . I forgot to mention that bit!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.