Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dust spots

ArtyArt e2
3 256 2 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2014 10:04PM
Anyone else used the "Visualize Spots" check box when using the "Spot Removal" tool in "Lightroom". I thought I was thorough when removing dust spots from my images, click on this today and found loads more (think it's time for a sensor clean).

Been using Lightroom for years and never used this until now, well worth giving it a go. Its makes your image look like a high pass filter effect in "Photoshop" which makes it very easy to identify spots.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
25 Aug 2014 10:40PM
Used it extensively since it was introduced in version 5.0 ( we are now at v 5.6 )

Still a good idea to do a normal type of check at say 2:1 as well, as sometimes it could be, say, a nail in a piece of wood or actual dust / dirt on the subject itself which you may want to keep.
AnneB50 e2
2 114 18 Scotland
26 Aug 2014 8:53AM
I use it now too, it is particularly good if you want to edit an image in something like Silver Efex Pro as it highlights the tiniest of spots which my eye doesn't always pick up. As Jeff says though you do need to check that it isn't something that should be there!
Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
26 Aug 2014 9:24AM
Yes, a very useful feature.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 11:13AM
Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.
ArtyArt e2
3 256 2 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 11:49AM

Quote:Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.

Know what you mean, sometimes I switch from Heal to Clone to see if you get a better result.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Aug 2014 2:39PM

Quote:Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.

Same here, on all counts.
I've just looked however and I don't think I'll bother.
gala e2
1 766 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 4:02PM
Very useful - although I'm using it a lot less since getting the D600 sorted. I would also recommend magnifying the picture as you can see a lot more than full size

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.