Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dust spots

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ArtyArt
    ArtyArt e2 Member 3218 forum postsArtyArt vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 10:04 PM

Anyone else used the "Visualize Spots" check box when using the "Spot Removal" tool in "Lightroom". I thought I was thorough when removing dust spots from my images, click on this today and found loads more (think it's time for a sensor clean).

Been using Lightroom for years and never used this until now, well worth giving it a go. Its makes your image look like a high pass filter effect in "Photoshop" which makes it very easy to identify spots.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2014 - 10:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 10:40 PM

Used it extensively since it was introduced in version 5.0 ( we are now at v 5.6 )

Still a good idea to do a normal type of check at say 2:1 as well, as sometimes it could be, say, a nail in a piece of wood or actual dust / dirt on the subject itself which you may want to keep.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 25 Aug 2014 - 10:45 PM
    AnneB50
    AnneB50 e2 Member 2110 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 8:53 AM

I use it now too, it is particularly good if you want to edit an image in something like Silver Efex Pro as it highlights the tiniest of spots which my eye doesn't always pick up. As Jeff says though you do need to check that it isn't something that should be there!

Railcam
    Railcam  7477 forum posts Scotland
    26 Aug 2014 - 9:24 AM

Yes, a very useful feature.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 11:13 AM

Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.

ArtyArt
    ArtyArt e2 Member 3218 forum postsArtyArt vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 11:49 AM

Quote: Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.

Know what you mean, sometimes I switch from Heal to Clone to see if you get a better result.

Jestertheclown
    26 Aug 2014 - 2:39 PM

Quote: Never heard of it, but I'll give it a look as it sounds useful. That said - I still find the correction of dust spots in LR a hit and miss affair.

Same here, on all counts.
    I've just looked however and I don't think I'll bother.

gala
    gala  1633 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2014 - 4:02 PM

Very useful - although I'm using it a lot less since getting the D600 sorted. I would also recommend magnifying the picture as you can see a lot more than full size

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.