Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

DXO Optics..

Robsterios 9 20 Australia
16 Apr 2007 3:10PM
Hello EPZ'ers....is anyone using DXO Optics Pro for raw conversion and/or post processing work??..A salesman in my local camera shop insists it's brilliant for fixing common lens problems on even pro lenses..It all sounds fairly good from reviews I've read..but...still, I'm keen to find out if it's it all worth it from any users out there.....

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
16 Apr 2007 3:20PM
Can't recall if anyone on here uses it. However, the esteemed Ken Rockwell seems to use it quite a bit! Wink
keithh Plus
11 23.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Apr 2007 3:21PM
It's a good bit of software but with lens profiles can become very expensive..it's not a cheap package in the first place and used by many Americans.
User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
16 Apr 2007 3:24PM
There are cheaper RAW conversion solutions and PTLens is brilliant for the money.
whippetrider 11 465
17 Apr 2007 11:20AM
I got DxO at Focus this year but have only just had time to get it installed. It is RAM hungry but can make good use of multiple processor / core combinations. I run a P4 2Ghz with 1.5GB of PC2100 ram and it runs quite quickly. Set up was straight forward as you just select the camera / lens combinations you require from a list and only these are loaded. The list can be updated at any time for free.

In operation the standard settings work fine and can be adjusted very easily. Highlight and shadow control works well and I tried a few shots taken wide open on a 17-85mm and the distortion vanished at the loss of a small part of the image edge.

Conversion is quite fast, between 30 seconds and 1 minute per shot (20D RAW) depending on the amount of alteration required and conversion to JPG. Each set of conversions is refered to as a project and can be saved to come back to later. A samll data file is created for image with the alteration details and this can be stored anywhere on the PC as can converted files (TIF, JPG or DNG). The original RAW file is left on altered.

Online tutorials would be handy but I can't find anything as yet. If anyone knows of anyhting then I'd like to know. I went for DxO as it does everything. PT Lens did good distortion control but it became part of a very long set of steps so not what I wanted in a single piece of software to do my work flow.

So far I'm happy with it bar the lack of tutorials.

Jeff
jonjeds 11 509
8 May 2007 11:36PM
11 May 2007 10:41AM
I have just bought this along with the film pack and have to agree with Jeff on all points.

Runs very nicely on multi-core systems, although I find ye olde Canon DPP quicker for the initial review and delete on a new project.

With the current /$ exchange rate even the Elite version is a bit of a steal, and unlike Adobe you can download from the parent site and there are no nasty price surprises if you are from the U.K. Apart from the addition of V.A.T. that is, which will not bother those of us who are registered for such things.

So yes, I like it and will use it extensively despite a few user interface quirks, which may just be down to my lack of knowledge with the product.
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
11 May 2007 2:00PM
It's also worth pointing out that the lenses are all included in the price these days, so i't cheaper than it used to be...
ReedChr 8 5
11 May 2007 2:54PM
Have been trying it out and the results can be stunning but this varies from image to image. It'a ability to process RAW knowing your camera and lens limits can make the before and after image look very different. I'm just waiting for them to bring out the module for my main lens and I'll by buying.

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.