Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DXO Optics..

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Robsterios
    16 Apr 2007 - 3:10 PM

Hello EPZ'ers....is anyone using DXO Optics Pro for raw conversion and/or post processing work??..A salesman in my local camera shop insists it's brilliant for fixing common lens problems on even pro lenses..It all sounds fairly good from reviews I've read..but...still, I'm keen to find out if it's it all worth it from any users out there.....

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Apr 2007 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2007 - 3:20 PM

Can't recall if anyone on here uses it. However, the esteemed Ken Rockwell seems to use it quite a bit! Wink

keithh
    keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2007 - 3:21 PM

It's a good bit of software but with lens profiles can become very expensive..it's not a cheap package in the first place and used by many Americans.

User_Removed
    16 Apr 2007 - 3:24 PM

There are cheaper RAW conversion solutions and PTLens is brilliant for the money.

Last Modified By Dave at 16 Apr 2007 - 3:25 PM
    whippetrider
    17 Apr 2007 - 11:20 AM

I got DxO at Focus this year but have only just had time to get it installed. It is RAM hungry but can make good use of multiple processor / core combinations. I run a P4 2Ghz with 1.5GB of PC2100 ram and it runs quite quickly. Set up was straight forward as you just select the camera / lens combinations you require from a list and only these are loaded. The list can be updated at any time for free.

In operation the standard settings work fine and can be adjusted very easily. Highlight and shadow control works well and I tried a few shots taken wide open on a 17-85mm and the distortion vanished at the loss of a small part of the image edge.

Conversion is quite fast, between 30 seconds and 1 minute per shot (20D RAW) depending on the amount of alteration required and conversion to JPG. Each set of conversions is refered to as a project and can be saved to come back to later. A samll data file is created for image with the alteration details and this can be stored anywhere on the PC as can converted files (TIF, JPG or DNG). The original RAW file is left on altered.

Online tutorials would be handy but I can't find anything as yet. If anyone knows of anyhting then I'd like to know. I went for DxO as it does everything. PT Lens did good distortion control but it became part of a very long set of steps so not what I wanted in a single piece of software to do my work flow.

So far I'm happy with it bar the lack of tutorials.

Jeff

jonjeds
    jonjeds  10509 forum posts
    8 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

Couple of DXO tutorials here.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro/instant_workflow/guided_tours

Irritable_Rabbit

I have just bought this along with the film pack and have to agree with Jeff on all points.

Runs very nicely on multi-core systems, although I find ye olde Canon DPP quicker for the initial review and delete on a new project.

With the current /$ exchange rate even the Elite version is a bit of a steal, and unlike Adobe you can download from the parent site and there are no nasty price surprises if you are from the U.K. Apart from the addition of V.A.T. that is, which will not bother those of us who are registered for such things.

So yes, I like it and will use it extensively despite a few user interface quirks, which may just be down to my lack of knowledge with the product.

randomrubble
    11 May 2007 - 2:00 PM

It's also worth pointing out that the lenses are all included in the price these days, so i't cheaper than it used to be...

ReedChr
    ReedChr  7
    11 May 2007 - 2:54 PM

Have been trying it out and the results can be stunning but this varies from image to image. It'a ability to process RAW knowing your camera and lens limits can make the before and after image look very different. I'm just waiting for them to bring out the module for my main lens and I'll by buying.

Chris

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.