Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

DXOmark review on Nikon D800 95, Canon 5D Mark III 81

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2012 9:29PM
It is too early to call time on electric cars and I agree with CB the plug-in hybrid could be a good solution, once developed further. EURO VII will probably focus more on fuel usage rather than cleaning the emissions more than EURO VI, and a lot of us have days when the car travels less than 50 miles. Still we would need more nuclear power stations.......

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Apr 2012 11:44PM
Returning to pixies, Fred Miranda 5DIII-D800 may well prove the answer, that Sony sensor has impressive low noise at low ISO, and the 5D III sensor is a mild warm up, but no big improvement on the 5D II sensor. Some interesting comments on the body differences between the cameras and also the shortcomings of some Nikon lenses.

So for the top notch landscape camera, get Sony to do the sensor, Canon the body and electronic features like live view and AF. then Nikon to do the wide angle lenses and Canon the Tilt shift and telephoto lenses. That should be easy Smile

Having said all that those 5DIII images looked gorgeous, just don't blast the shadows. Smile
Steppenwolf 3 1.0k
22 Apr 2012 11:27AM

Quote:It is too early to call time on electric cars and I agree with CB the plug-in hybrid could be a good solution, once developed further.

The hybrid solves the range issue but introduces complexity and expense. What'll kill electric cars and hybrid cars will be the fact that battery manufacture is a very, very dirty business involving a lot of elements that are hard to dispose of or recycle. That and the fact that the minute the govt starts taxing electricity used in cars at the same rate as petrol they become completely uneconomic. In fact electric cars already cost more to run than an average petrol car as an article in last week's ST showed.
22 Apr 2012 5:32PM
Once we realise how important fossil fuels are to our economic and industrial activities then its use for transport may be even higher taxed. So its not so much the price of electric V's petrol today, as the comparison in the future. Battery technology is advancing rapidly so I am happy to play a wait and see on this. But I also agree no Electric car has passed my economic assessment in today's economics.

Also there is air pollution, London for example has a massive problem. I know electric vehicles move the emissions somewhere else, but that is a partial solution.

Renaults costs almost balance for Zoe as you lease the battery. The problem is the cost of leasing the battery for 6,000 miles per year is not much different from 6,000 miles of fuel.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Dec 2012 1:02AM
This is a really funny video comparison of the Nikon D800 and Canon EOS 5D Mk III

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Dec 2012 7:54AM
Brilliant.
13 Dec 2012 11:23AM
I do like the last test.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
13 Dec 2012 12:08PM
Wouldn't a photographer buy whichever body fitted his/her lenses. Aren't small differences in performance are more than outweighed by the differences in skill?
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2012 12:24PM

Quote:Wouldn't a photographer buy whichever body fitted his/her lenses. Aren't small differences in performance are more than outweighed by the differences in skill?

Yes quite agree for most photographers, but if you were starting out what system would you buy into, or if you had loads of cash what would you buy, or if you were in the top 1% of photographers would this make the difference to elevate you just that bit extra?

Note, these overall scores often take account of things like ISO that may not affect studio photographers etc. So its not always relevant to your style.

It seems that all the photographer I like most all have a variety of systems so I can't tell which is better or not, as you say its more about skill at that level.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Dec 2012 3:02PM
I just don't know why Canon don't make more of the Stripper test in their marketing blurb. They clearly outshine Nikon in that area even if their products fail on the Sledgehammer test.

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.