Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

E-M5 coming on Wednesday

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Camairish
    Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
    5 Feb 2012 - 1:43 PM

Looking forwards to seeing this new offering from Olympus - check out http://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/ for all the rumours and pictures. We won't know the exact appearance/specs until Wednesday but 4/3 rumors is usually pretty accurate.

An Olympus body with built in EVF to complement the good selection of m43 primes would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Feb 2012 - 1:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 2:01 PM

I actually really want that camera- though I'm waiting to see size comparisons for how big it gets. The Oly EP series was really interesting, hampered for me only by the fact that you could have viewfinder or flash, but not both (excluding its built in popup flash of course).
    This new design looks to fix that problem Smile

So long as it remains good and small I could easily see myself getting this along with a good 200mm/300mm capable m4/3rds lens for a light walkaround camera with a suitable range for wildlife.

kodachrome
    5 Feb 2012 - 2:02 PM

It looks very much like a smaller version the the old OM-4.

We have to remember that its Olympuse's first attempt at a 16mp camera and a EVF in a M4T format, both of which have already been done by Panasonic. It will be interesting to see how it compares to a Panny GH2 or G3. No built in flash from what I can see!
    I quite like the silver version, because my old OM-2N was silver and it looks the part.
    I am a little concerned that even body only, its going to be pretty expensive, any body know the price yet.

Pete

Camairish
    5 Feb 2012 - 4:24 PM

I've a sneaky feeling from what I've read that there may be a pop up flash concealed in the prism Pete. It's the in body IS that makes the difference for me when compared to the Panny offerings with built in EVF & 16MP sensor.
    The price, I agree, will probably be set high.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 5:11 PM

I read that price is around $1200, so I would expect it to be around 1000 or so.

kodachrome
    5 Feb 2012 - 7:34 PM

Like all launch prices, they come down. I can get a new Pentax K5 now for just over 600, it was over a 1000 on launch. Like wise, I can get the superb Panasonic GH2 body for well under 600. This may be where I go if the OM-D is too expensive.
    I heard 850 body only?
    Agree about the in body IS, the lenses are quite a bit smaller and should be cheaper. However, on several test reports, the in lens optical IS on the Panny lenses was more efficiant by over 1 stop than in body IS on the Oly.
    I hope your right camairish about the flash.

We should know all the details by Wednesday.

Pete

Camairish
    5 Feb 2012 - 10:09 PM

I didn't know that about the Panny versus Oly IS Pete, very interesting. It looks like the pop up flash is non existant according to http://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/ which would be a real disappointment. I've got really used to this with the E-P3 and would no like to be without one now!

Ian.

Last Modified By Camairish at 5 Feb 2012 - 10:24 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 10:28 PM

Quote: I can get the superb Panasonic GH2 body for well under 600. This may be where I go if the OM-D is too expensive

I believe the GH2 sold for about 800 when first released.

This new Pen will be so much more advanced, it will have a new in body IS, and probably support wireless flash as well.

Then there`s this new weather sealing, the kit lens is already available, I think it will be worth every penny.

Quote: However, on several test reports, the in lens optical IS on the Panny lenses was more efficiant by over 1 stop than in body IS on the Oly.
    I hope your right camairish about the flash

I had read some of those reports, totally useless in the real world and these would not interest most people, especially those looking for a good street camera wanting to use manual focus and other legacy lenses, there`s absolutely no IS support when using Pany`s.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 Feb 2012 - 10:40 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.