Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

E Readers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nick_Hilton
    20 Apr 2013 - 6:36 PM

I am trying to choose a basic e reader for my girlfreinds birthday.
    I think either a Kindle or Jobo what are peoples thoughts and the range of books for each ?
    Or is there a better cheaper one that supports the most amount of books?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Apr 2013 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

camay
    camay  7120 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2013 - 6:51 PM

I have a Kobo Touch, I like it, I bought it because I can buy books from lots of sources, but it can be a bit hit and miss turning pages. Worse, a few weeks ago before going on holiday I decided to add some books, the software was upgraded and the Reader froze. The suggestions to reset it have failed, it will have to go back and it is out of warranty. Googling the problem has found others in the same situation. But I still don't like Amazon having a monopoly on what I can read.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2013 - 7:18 PM

I have a Kobo Glo, and it is the best by far that I've used, and I've had 5 others including Sony, and Kindle. The built-in light is the absolute answer. Camay, you should have no problem resetting your Kobo touch. Press a pin in the tiny reset hole and wait till it goes through its procedure. I'd buy the Kobo Glo over and over again as a pure ereader. I use Calibre as my organiser on the PC and it recognises the Kobo readers, so I just transfer books from there.

PS: the first thing I did in the setup was disable wifi, it saves battery life, and no advertising.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 20 Apr 2013 - 7:19 PM
    WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41056 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2013 - 7:39 PM

Kindle Paperwhite. Basically a book reader. Battery life is amazing. I got a cheap leather case to go with it that switches it on and off when you close the cover. Mine was bought for me as a present and I'm well pleased with it.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2013 - 7:45 PM

Kindle paperwhite unless you want to step up to Kobo

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315596 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2013 - 8:08 PM

I have a Kindle keyboard and a Kindle Paperwhite (that I bought for the Mrs, but she prefers the one with the keyboard).
    I love the Paperwhite. If you only want it for reading, it's so much better than a tablet (lighter, easier to read, far better battery usage).

I suggest before buying one you actually get your hands on a few to see which you prefer.

Nick_Hilton
    20 Apr 2013 - 8:25 PM

thanks for all the advice

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2013 - 10:35 PM

Wow! That new Kobo Aura looks like it might be my next reader, in a couple years.Wink

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2013 - 2:05 AM

My having acquired a Nexus 7 tablet I was pointed, by Denny, towards an Android app called Cool Reader which is a highly customisable bit of software. In particular you can select a background and turn down the screen brightness (I have mine set at just 6%) to a degree which comes pretty close to looking like e-ink. But is useful in dimmer light - I guess like the new Kindle Paperwhite. Cool Reader's text-to-speech facility is noticeably superior to that of the Kindle: nice when I want rest my eyes for a short while.

Not 100% sure about reading on a tablet, as yet, but it's promising. The glossy screen of the tablet, as opposed to the matte one of the Kindle, is the only drawback and is the only thing which makes me hesitate to suggest you don't bother with a dedicated ebook reader; but it may be a matter of getting used to the screen and - for reading after dark - it is not a problem at all: in fact the gentle backlight is a plus point.

It's certainly nice to be able to break off from reading and, without changing device, check my email, catch up on the news, post on EPZ (Grin) and go back to reading the ebook.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.