Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

e2 Membership

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53635 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 4:36 PM

Just to add to a point raised by petebfrance. I lurked for at least a year as a non member before deciding to do the e2 thing; and mostly so i could upload higher resolution images.
e2 is not I think a scheme to attract the majority of new members in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2014 - 4:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

netta1234
netta1234 e2 Member 2186 forum postsnetta1234 vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 4:45 PM

I really enjoy EPZ,I started as a beginner ,I am Welsh and English is my second language as you can see over yourself with my spelling mistakes etc.I fell that I know a lot of people on here ,they have been good with their advise.
I quite like the E2 as I feel that I needed to Award more often as there were some lovely images on here,and to be able to view large.
I don't mind paing tha amount it cost now,but I might have a think about it if it ever goes up in price.
Thanks for all your work here and making it a great site to make some good friends.
NettaSmile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43930 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 4:47 PM

It would be interesting to know what %age of new members who automatically have 3 weeks free e2 benefits actually sign up for full e2 at the end of the trial period. Does the trial period attract?

I think e2 should have more exclusive privileges along the lines of special offers form sponsors/suppliers and advertisers. Money off offers, discounts on workshop or course participation, better terms for printing/framing. Perhaps a regular in-house e2 competition with prizes really worth winning which will attract new e2 members. (Not just an ePz camera strap, although there's absolutely nowt wrong with the straps).
Get the money spenders to spend a bit more on e2 members.Smile

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 944 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
30 Jul 2014 - 5:03 PM

Malcolm I thought one real benefit of that period is that even if the person on a trial doesn't sign up, any photos are uploaded at the larger size and they remain viewable large for other members of the site who have e2.

Where e2 members may feel let down is when they go through the new uploads and there are really small photos, nothing to stop you allowing uploaders to upload large pics and letting e2 members see em, resizing for non-e2 members.

It's a subtle point but sometimes a restriction you apply to an e1 member can impact the enjoyment of the site by e2 members.

A bit like when only e2 members could upload to threads in the forum, it was realised you could do it if you knew how but e2 members who'd posed a technical question did benefit because they could ask something which an e1 member could answer with an illustration.

Last Modified By Chris_L at 30 Jul 2014 - 5:10 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43930 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Malcolm I thought one real benefit of that period is that even if the person on a trial doesn't sign up, any photos are uploaded at the larger size and they remain viewable large for other members of the site who have e2.

TBH that's an IT question I don't have the answer to. There is a bit of confusion round this - and the question of a member who doesn't renew e2...are his images still available at the larger size.
The head honcho of IT is still on his hols so can't get an answer just now... this is one he will have to address under coming site reviews.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 30 Jul 2014 - 5:10 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 123136 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 5:39 PM

I like the ability to load larger images although I have to say that this is standard on some non paying sites.

I use the versions function a lot so it's probably worth the money for that.

I've no idea of what to suggest but I do think that membership should probably include a bit more.

In saying that, I used to pay a lot more to subscribe to monthly magazines and all you could do is read them.

Ken

here4years
here4years e2 Member 180 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 5:53 PM

Quote: To print any webpage as a PDF document, you can use Google Chrome,

Thanks - thats something I was completely unaware of - very helpful Smile

Jestertheclown
30 Jul 2014 - 5:53 PM

Quote: To print any webpage as a PDF document, you can use Google Chrome, and it is a built in feature, simply right click, go to print, and change the destination to "Save as PDF"

I think you can do this with any webpage using any browser.
Just use the "print" option, might be under "file" or as a toolbar icon, then select "Pdf" or similar from the dropdown list of printers.

saltireblue
30 Jul 2014 - 6:26 PM

Quote: To print any webpage as a PDF document, you can use Google Chrome, and it is a built in feature, simply right click, go to print, and change the destination to "Save as PDF"
I think you can do this with any webpage using any browser.
Just use the "print" option, might be under "file" or as a toolbar icon, then select "Pdf" or similar from the dropdown list of printers.

Jepp...works with Safari on a Mac....right click...print...choose pdf

Last Modified By saltireblue at 30 Jul 2014 - 6:27 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014829 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 6:30 PM

#1. No more holidays for head honcho of IT.Wink

I more or less joined E2 a short while after it became available to contribute something to the site. The site gave me many hours of enjoyment, and lots of good info for my hobby. My favourite thread of all time in the forum is the one Joshwa started when the Olympus OM-D E-M5 first came out. By far the most enjoyable extended discussion of my 10.5 years on the site. Sometimes we can learn much more from analyzing a good thing, than beating to death complaints. We had the inevitable moaners joining the thread to bitch about this and that, which meant sweet Annie Laurie to the big picture, as usual.

Which brings me to another point that has become an issue for me recently; when we block a thread, it disappears, it's gone, but it can be brought back through a simple procedure. Great! That's as it should be. However, when we block a member, their name still shows up on the main page as long as they are the last commentator, and always in the thread itself, reminding one of that person's presence and persistence. I block people who have an adverse effect on my enjoyment of the site and its facilities. I would like a blocking feature that blocks all reference to that member, name, comments, everything, so that the individual just disappears. For many years I was able to tolerate certain individuals, and just ignored them, but eventually they realise that, and have some perverse need to irritate, and dig at you, a kind of harassment. There aren't many, but it only takes one, and we've seen it happen on occasion over the years where people just get fed up with the juvenile little games and leave the site. Life is just too short to constantly be under the threat of intentional antagonism. My tolerance level has dropped over the past year or so for whatever reasons, and for obvious reasons management's hands are tied in many cases. I am not requesting that any member be reprimanded, it isn't their fault, they are just being themselves, I'm the one who has a problem with them, and want to be able to block all reference to their name or postings, so if they do make their snide remarks in the forum, I don't even know they're still a member of the site. It's an IT thing I think, and I've stopped using 99% of the site till this is cleared up one way or another. I don't even know if it should be an E2 feature. I'd like to remain a member of the site, but can't under the present circumstances. To some this will seem petty, others will understand.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 30 Jul 2014 - 6:36 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 6:44 PM

Four things I'd like to see.

1. When we upload Versions, only the main image appears in your portfolio. I know you can upload lots of images at once to your p/f and use them later, but I don't want to use this function as I think it clogs up the p/f and can be confusing.

2. I'd like every image, be it the main pic or a version, to be included in the stats. My stats currently show I've uploaded 820 images, but if you included versions then it'd be much higher.

3. It would be nice to have a Like button attached to PMs so that if someone sends you a Thank You or you just want to show you've taken notice of a message you can Like it rather than have to type out an unnecessary reply.

4. I'd like to be able to reorder the pics in my Albums so that the latest image appears first.

Perhaps the above should be in Gallery suggestions. Sorry. There's some overlap.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 30 Jul 2014 - 6:48 PM
petebfrance
30 Jul 2014 - 6:49 PM

Quote: .....

I use the versions function a lot so it's probably worth the money for that.

Ken

ah yes, I'd forgotten that. The versions are good too..........

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101475 forum postsdark_lord vcard England130 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 8:20 PM

These days it's mostly the uploading and viewing of larger images. Versions is good too, I use that regularly
I was in e2 for a long time, then for cash reasons took a sabbatical, but I'm back now.

I used to use the statistics but haven't for a while. I am intersted to see who votes, prompts me to look at their images if I haven't seen their name for a while.
Didn't know about the Glover & Howe discount, and like Tanya I've usd them for years (renewal coming up soon Grin).

Got a pdf add on for Firefox, but then I suppose you could just have Chrome to create your pdfs Wink

I like the idea of offers/discounts and articles/interviews.

I disagree about boring and formulaic galleries. Certain styles come and go, though I admit there is a leaning to certain types of image on here. Good stuff from some (e2 or not, doesn't matter) that gets less recognition, those who are not afraid to experiment, the younger members, if they don't get much attention then they are less likely to want e2.

Keith

MikeA
MikeA  91175 forum posts England
30 Jul 2014 - 8:27 PM

"Thanks for all your feedback so far.

Mike, I'd be eager to know why you ended your e2 membership all those years ago please?!

Check your records it should be documented somewhere on your system Wink

here4years
here4years e2 Member 180 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2014 - 9:21 PM

At the risk of going off topic (not unheard of) does ePz advertise the site in the photo press ? Although I rarely buy hard copy photo mags I do flick through some in the Public Reading Room for the Terminally Tight Fisted (aka W H Smiths) and have never seen an ePz advert. Is that an option that could pull in some members?

Last Modified By here4years at 30 Jul 2014 - 9:22 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.